A couple of questions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4hchknmama, Feb 11, 2009.

1. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    Well hello everyone..I had a couple of questions that have come up and I was hoping that someone may be able to answer. I built my own little incubator (Styrofoam cooler type) and I have done great with it thus far. This is my very first time hatching eggs and I have 8 eggs in now and I am on day 16. So far, these little ones seem to be doing exactly what is expected, I candled and all are moving, with good veins etc. Anyway.... I will be closing up the bator on Friday for the 'Final Countdown'[​IMG]. I was wondering what the humidity should be in the bator? I have ready everything from 50% to 60% all the way up to 75%. It is such a large variance, I was just looking for clarification from people who have hatched before on what is best. Also, up to this point the eggs have been in an egg at an angle (with the large end up) and I have turned them 3x daily. Is it best to take the eggs out and put them on thier side for hatching, or, should they stay in the crate?
    Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    Just for clarification, they have been in an egg crate, not in an egg, lol

3. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Leave them in the crate, they will hatch out just fine. You just don't want to leave them in a turner to hatch, but it sounds like you were hand turning them, so no problems, just let them hatch out

I have babies hatching on Friday too, good luck

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:RH for last three days should be in the range of 65 to 75% .... I pitch for 70, and don't fret a few points either way.

Yes it is best to take them out and lay them on their sides. Every incubator manufacturer recommends this, and every commercial hatchery does this, but some here think they know better.

They are your eggs, do as you think fit.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by