A couple of quick questions about Cortunix Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by garye5007, May 30, 2010.

1. garye5007

garye5007 In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Hi,
    I am planning for raising some Cortunix Quail (probably about 25 or so) and I have a couple of questions...
    Does anyone know if I need a permit in Connecticut? I tried searching the DEP site but couldn't find anything.
    Will they drink from chicken nipple waterers?
    I plan to put a rabbit hutch type pen next to my chicken coop opposite the run. I have read that there are some diseases that can hurt my chickens that come from quail... if they aren't physically together, is there a chance of problems?
    Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Gary

2. Don't know about permits. They will drink from a nipple. From what I understand, you don't want to house them directly with chickens, but they can be as close as in the same yard. I have mine on the outside wall of my chicken coop and I have not had any problems yet, but my first batch is only 4 weeks old. You will get some better replies. Some real pros will chime in before dawn.

UGCM

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    its not so much the diseases your chickens can get from your quail but the other way around.... 10 ft is safe distance so long as you use biological isolation. Also fyi--- all kinds of answers are listed as well as a ton of good info for anyone new to coturnix in the sticky post here at the top of the section. Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have a couple of english whites drinking from a rabbit bottle took me playing with them a little bit squirting water at then a time or 2 then they figgered out there was water in the bottle

5. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi Gary...yes you need a permit in CT....yes they will drink from a water bottle. I usually give mine the water bottle at about a week and half old and they take right to it.

6. garye5007

garye5007 In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the replies!
    I will look into getting a permit.
    I have a automatic waterer for the chooks and i can tap off that for the quail.
    I have been reading alot on the board... it is a wealth of info!
    my bator is all set and will get eggs soon!
    Thanks again!
    Gary

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:make sure the quail are upstream from the chickens, or the water goes to the quail 1st, then to the chickens.... otherwise you risk contaminating your quail water supply and passing diseases to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by