A couple of quick questions from a nervous hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2manyhats, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Hi all.

It's day 19 of a hatch and I am very nervous because I have not been doing well so far. Please remind me of the proper humidity for a chicken hatch and the proper humidity for a turkey hatch. (Afraid I've been wrong in the past)
    Also, I see many of you use egg cartons to hatch in. Is it OK to use a foam carton? Please help calm my nerves.

Kimberly

2. 2manyhats

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Anybody?

I got 70-80% for chickens form the learning center. Does anyone have an answer about the foam cartons?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For chickens-60-65% the humidity will go up as they hatch. Unsure about turkeys but, there are many people who will hatch them together so they must be about the same. They hatch them together so the chicks will teach the poults how to eat and drink. Just have to set the eggs so they hatch at the sametime.

I know some use the foam cartons. I believe the paper is better as it breathes more. Remember to cut out the bottom for air.

Good luck!

4. 2manyhats

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks Kitty,

I'm ready to stop touching things now - sit on hands, sit on hands. I am not having good luck with hatches and really want a success. Ugh! 3 more days.

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    If you need something to do, without opening the bator cheep at the eggs. That way the chicks will know who you are when they hatch. It is also neat to hear eggs cheeping back on day 21.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by