A couple questions about my Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwoods, Jan 29, 2008.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Well i've got a 6 month old RIR rooster, he is the first Roo i have ever raised from a young'n.As far as body size he is just as big as my brahma.

When will his spurs be at full size? my 1yr+ brahma roo spurs are 1 3/4" long now,my rirs spurs well theyre just like my hens spurs but more fuller.

and his crow is not very pleasing to hear...its quiet and not the defined er er errrrr ar roooo..like all the other roosters i have had...agian this is the youngest roo i have every had,i rasied thisn from a couple days old.the rest i have bought from other farmers.as my other roos died trying to protect theyre hens from predators and such.

I know when he first started his roo was just noise and has got better since when hes was 4 months old when he started . but now it sounds right as far as tone but its just quiter and he doesnt play all the notes LOL...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My RIR roos are about 8-9 months old. When they first started crowing it was quite scratchy and unpleasant to listen to, but as they continued you could definately hear the difference in their crow. Now they crow perfectly. Their spurs on the other hand are not full-sized yet, but I would think that when they are a year they should be about full length.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Just wait til he grows 3" long sickle shaped spurs like my big red has. [​IMG]

He's 1 1/2 years old.(this pic is at 1 year)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  4. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Believe it or not Rooster red,but your rooster is the the main reason i got mine..Awhile back i made a post about your roo,he looks so majestic!! so i got one.[​IMG][​IMG] and they look just alike!!! ecxept yours has an evil eye and razors on his shanks!! i cant wait till mine gets thataway.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Here is a picture of my RIR roo...his name is Ruby Roo. He is...wow, I cant believe it....almost 2 yrs old. He is the " cock of the walk" around here. He keeps the other roos in check...and watches HIS ladies very closely! He has the best crow...strong..and clear.

[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, it can take a while to get the manly thing going in roos. Give him at least a year. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by