A couple questions for the experts!!

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
Ok so I am sure that I am being annoying with all the questions lately but I am trying to figure all this stuff out before getting a duck or two. First, my hubby really does not want a duck. I think that he is thinking that they will be a lot of trouble and take up a lot of room in our yard. How much trouble would two ducks be? Second, does anyone have any pictures of a simple duck pen that I can put together myself since I may end up doing it alone? Thank you everyone! I love coming right to the source!

If the pen would be in your yard then t-posts(the green metal ones) and some welded wire would be just fine.

I keep my growing babies in a 2ft tall wire pen held up with mini t-posts. it's simple, easy to move and it keeps them in while they're still growing. of course they're not yet able to jump or fly over it either. but my adult birds do seem to stay out of it or they just havent figured it out yet, lol.

ETA: they sell t-posts & wire in numerous different heights and sizes.

Last edited:
The enclosure part is not that bad. Go to Home Depot and get the t-post, welded fencing and clips. You may not even need one, if you let them have your entire yard. I use two dog fences that fold up for temporary confinement. They are wonderful at eating weeds and bugs. You will need a duck house for them to lock them up at night so no predators will get them. A large dog house will work fine. Some even use dog crates in their garages. A shed will be ideal. They are messy, but they are also so much fun.
Katharina

Here is a picture of my pen. I bought 2 foot high hardware cloth - for me it is easier to handle, it isn't as stiff. I bought a plastic dog house from wal-mart (about 60.00) It just snaps together. I used my husband's drill and drilled holes in the bottom for "liquid drainage" and some extra holes in the sides for additional ventillation. I like this one because the roof snaps off making morning cleanings very easy. I set it on top of two landscape timbers, so air could circulate under it, preventing mold (and yuck). The plastic pool sets on a piece of plywood, on the other end of the timbers. I used some metal stakes that we had for our tomatoe baskets and some plastic ones that I bought at Lowes when I got the hardware cloth. I used zip ties to attach the wire to the posts. I don't have a "traditional door", I wrapped the last foot of hardware cloth around the side of the pen, bent it, and attached a zip tie at the top and bottom of the extra piece and the actual side of the pen, making 4 loops that I then tied string to each, so that they can be tied together to keep it closed. One side of the pen has 3 foot wire, as I forgot what size I bought before!
big_smile.png

The wooden enclosure only has 3 sides and a top with just a small 2x4 across the bottom for stability. I keep their food inside, as to keep it out of the rain!
My husband was against getting ducks so refused to help with this, so this is something that anyone can do. My 11 year old daughter and I did this in about 2 hours!

56653_duck_pen_2.jpg

Sorry, I forgot about the door to the "duck house". I drilled holes at the bottom of the door way of the dog house, attached two hinges, and a piece of 2 inch thick wood that doubles as a door and a walk up ramp. At dark, they line up to go in and I close the door which has about a one inch gap at the top (for air). I tied a piece of nylon rope all the way around the house and slip it down over the door to keep them from pushing the door open.

We got our babies on April 3rd (they were one day old) and we haven't had any trouble with anything getting in. They free range in the yard from early morning til dark and are only locked up at night. So far so good!

I will take some close up pictures of the house and door and upload tomorrow if that will help with ideas!

Last edited:
Quote:
You choose a breed that cannot fly. In general the heavier they are the less likely. I have Saxony ducks and there is no way they can fly. They have been trying, but no lift off. You can also clip their flight feathers so they can't. These feathers will be replaced once per year to you have to repeat it the following year.
You have to be really concerned at night when it comes to predators. That means they should get locked up. Or you can get a cheap electric fence charger to keep them out. It's very easy to install and they vary with the strength of their electric shock. The have them for cattle and go down to rabbits. So no worry about a heavy jolt. You can turn it off in the daytime and only have it on at night, if you worry about children.

Last edited:
I have one pekin, one fawn runner, four mallards, and two muskovies. Two of the mallards and the muskovies are only 2 weeks old, but my other four are 10 1/2 weeks old. My two oldest mallards decided yesterday to try their wings! They are flying around the yard some but haven't tried in the pen yet. They are getting clipped this weekend. We live in the duck hunting capital of the world and I can't stand the thought of some hunter getting one of my babies! There is a duck lodge/hunt club right behind us.....so, anyone in our family that can fly will be clipped - for their safety and my peace of mind! My pekin tries too but she is too "fluffy"!!

56653_img_1030.jpg

56653_img_1002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom