1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a couple questions-one more question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, Feb 23, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I was wondering if any one could answer this.

1.) My genesis has been plugged in for 4 days and has steadily read 99.5 degrees. I put eggs in there and now its reading 98.4. I put in a dozen eggs! Whats going on and how do I get the temp to raise back up?

2.) I have my 9 chicks in the "brooder" and the thermometer read like 100 yet they are still crowding around around. So it doesn't appear too hot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    1. give the bator some time to get back up to temp... mine takes a little while to get back up once I've turned eggs.

Keep your eye on the humidity - I add just a little water on a daily basis to keep the humidity up.

2. if the chicks are crowding, they could be cold, check there is no draft coming in.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The temp will need a few hours to level out. The eggs have to come up to the 99.5 degrees as well before it stablizes.

If they are crowding under the heat they are cold. Have you lined the sides of their brooder so drafts can't get in? Becareful with crowding because they will pile up and the low man down will be crushed.

4. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    They are in a plastic tote and I put the lid almost all the way on just leave enough room for the heat lamp to shine through. What should I line the tote with? They are doing okay now. Seem to be standing where ever, eating. I think my thermometer was off. I stuck a different one in there and it read 88. So I lowered the heat lamp some. I only have the 125watt heat lamp in I could put the stronger one in, but it tends to be hard to get it cooler, its always soo hot.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are moving about they are getting warm. Just watch them for signs of getting too warm or cooling off again.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep my brooder in the laundry room and only use a 100 watt reg. bulb in my heat lamp...I just lower or raise it depending on what the chicks seem to like best and the thermometer reading...

If you just put the eggs in it does take hours for the temps to come back to the right degree and stabliize....

7. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    One more question I forgot to ask. I have a "sick" chick. He was the one that pipped from the wrong end. After 2 days and no progress I slowly helped him one peice at a time. He just didn't look like he/she was very strong at all and I thought for sure he was going to die with in minutes of becoming all the way out of the shell. Well this morning by golly she is still alive and fighting! She can't stand up yet, its like her head is too heavy. She has "goo" all glued all over her. I am worried for her. Should I clean to goo off her so she can poop? Should I leave her be? I can't put her with the other chicks, they'd pick on her. I am just amazed she is still alive.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I had a weak chick once under a broodie hen that I thought was a goner...I kept it in a shoebox in the brooder with the other chicks to keep it warm.... used an eye dropper with vits. and elect. or sugar water and gave it some by mouth every few hours...mine pulled thru...and I could finally put her in with the rest.......might try some olive oil around her bum and get the goo off that way or if you use a warm washcloth becareful you could chill the chick.......

9. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    That is what I am afraid of

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have wash a chick off before right after it hatched in warm water and then dried it with a blow dryer. It did fine and was up and running around the next day. Good Luck with your little chick.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by