a couple quickie questions on hatching.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the1much, Nov 8, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

alright, guess since i got the sportsman i need to get serious bout hatching,, heres my problems/ doubts/ questions.
    now we stop turning the egg because the chick has "turned" inside to where he needs to be to hatch right?
    sooo ,, when you set the eggs on their sides for the last 3 days, what happens when the first "hatchie" hatch's and starts rolling and pushing the other eggs around? wont he move the other eggs in the wrong position?,,, man being a hippie is hard work [​IMG]

thanks all ,, i knew i could count on you guys to confuse me,, i mean, help me hehehe [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have never worried much about that. I lay all of mine on their sides for hatch. I find that the ones that hatch first encourage the others to hatch.

Jody

3. the1much

thanks jody ,,i guess im thinking to much bout it lol,,,again,,hehe
    its just that in my other bator, most of the eggs made it to day 18,, but seemed to die after that, so i guess i was brainstorming to see if this time i got everything covered. these are the eggs i got worried the airsac was on the wrong side hehehe [​IMG]
    we ended up with only 3 of them being bad,, and today is day 19 and already have 1 pip lol ,, i was worried that 1 is gonna be out so much quicker that he would mess up the rest [​IMG]

again,, thankies [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with your hatch. I have a small group of eggs on day 19 today too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us. [​IMG]

5. The Farmers Wife

The Farmers Wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Arkansas
    I agree........The bumping doesn't seem to cause any negative effects on the others......once I have quite few hatched and things seem to be "getting wild" in there, I remove the hatched chicks, band them and transfer to the brooder... and also remove the empty egg shells........I always start a container of water with a sponge (to wick it) heating in the microwave when I begin this "move"....... after the removal is complete, I place the "steaming" hot water into the incubator and shut the door...within a minute or two at the most, my humidity levels are back around 65% and the glass door on my Sportsman is steamed up..........ready for the others to arrive at proper humidity levels.........

This method seems to work the best for me..... though others may have their own practices that seem to work best for them......

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I just hatched 28 out of 30, left everyone in til the hatch was over, everyone was on their sides to hatch out, it was like a football game in there!! Things worked out just fine. No opening the bator to take anyone out [​IMG] That's how I always do it and have great hatches.

7. the1much

thankies Farmer wife, and tuffoldhen ,, i PROMISE,, no touchy !! lol [​IMG] ,, and hope we both have a GREAT hatch Jody.
    well ya all put my mind at ease,,,,AGAIN [​IMG]

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG] That's excellent!!! [​IMG]

I think I may need to try this, this next week. I always end up opening the bator to retrieve the babies once they're dried off. I always worry about them getting hurt or hurting the others. But if it works that good... definitely worth giving it a shot!

9. the1much

Quote:[​IMG] That's excellent!!! [​IMG]

I think I may need to try this, this next week. I always end up opening the bator to retrieve the babies once they're dried off. I always worry about them getting hurt or hurting the others. But if it works that good... definitely worth giving it a shot!

thats wicked awesome !!!!!

nother quickie question,,,,, since 1 of my chicks hatched on day 19,, how long can he stay in there before i have to take him out? see I'M TRYING TO NOT OPEN IT!!!! lol,, i just know that i should wait till day 22 before i start the "give up on the rest" feeling, but i dont wanna have #1 die of thirst or starve,,hehe.
    thankies again allz [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Jim, they can go for 72 hours without food and water. I would guess the others will follow along soon, so wait at least 2 days and try not to worry. [​IMG]

P.S. I have 4 pips on my hatch. [​IMG]

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by