A couple Silkie questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, Dec 15, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My White Silkie rooster just grew horns. [​IMG] Is this a breed fault?

Also... my White Silkie hen will be 2 this spring. I got her this past summer and she hasn't laid a single egg. Are her egg-laying days over?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Horns???? Please post pics [​IMG] I am sure the hen is not done laying eggs [​IMG]

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    horns.... on his comb. His comb suddenly grew two pointy things that look like horns. I think it's too dark now to get pictures, will tomorrow.

4. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    DRAT!!!! No babies for him. *sigh* I have to get a new roo, now. Luckily I have an order of White Silkies coming in a few weeks, from Ideal. Buff Silkies too.

Googled this...

Listed as serious defects are: Green beak, or tip to the beak. Horns
    protruding from the comb. Ruddy comb, wattles or face. Incorrect colour in
    plumage or skin. Plumage not silky. Want of crest. ‘Polish or split crest -
    the crest should not hang over the eyes. Green soles to the feet.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    That would be your first problem there is getting them from Ideal. Your not going to get much better quality thats for sure. LOTS of really good breeders usually have extra roosters to sell and some will sell them fairly cheap. I know I would LOL. [​IMG]

6. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    where can I find quality Silkies?

(btw, my rooster didn't come from Ideal. This would be my first chick order)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I am trying to find eggs from quality silkies to hatch and i am not having an easy time.
    I think there is so much work that goes into keeping them at that level of quality, that it leaves very little time to read emails and such. I'm glad i am not in a hurry [​IMG]

8. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:Well they are evil... perhaps he's a chicken devil.....

9. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    There are silkie eggs forsale in the egg section right now, they are very good quaility. Her Silkies are very nice. You can go look at her pic's. Finding eggs on here is easy, she mailed mine today. I have ordered from several different silkie owners on here and have a great group now.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You shouldn't necessarily discard an otherwise decent male simply because he has horns at the back of the comb. It can be bred out and the bird would not be DQed at a show. If he's a nice, typey bird with no other faults, you may consider keeping him, as the horns aren't as bad as they seem.

If you want quality stock, go with a breeder rather than a hatchery, as they breed for quantity.

Can you get pics of the comb and a body shot of the bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by