A couple what breed questions.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SugarRush, Mar 26, 2017.

1. SugarRush

SugarRush Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    I couldn't resist a few TSC babies this year and none of them appear to be what they are supposed to be. They also gave me a meat chick and called it a brown. They were purchased on 3/9. It's been very easy to walk into TSC not not be tempted after this. But I love my babies, even if they aren't what I expected.

**ETA They are kept inside under a heat lamp but I stepped out onto my deck fit natural lighting in 70° weather because their red light makes pictures impossible.

Chick one: supposed to be a Barred Plymouth Rock. But feathered legs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. SugarRush

Mar 21, 2017
    Chick 2, also supposed to be a Barred Plymouth Rock. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SugarRush

Mar 21, 2017
    Chick 3, supposed to be a Bantam but I think is actually a full size Easter Egger. This chick is big.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SugarRush

Mar 21, 2017
    And finally, chick 4. Labeled as Bantam. Not really that small. Feathered legs. No indication of which Bantam breed listed at TSC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Seems a lot of people have gotten incorrectly labeled chicks from TSC this season. [​IMG]

The feather legged ones will be either Cochin or Brahma with 4 toes.

The black one is definitely not a BR ... and are those puffy cheeks on it?

The third one looks like it could be a Welsumer.

Hopefully they are all girls! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SugarRush

Mar 21, 2017
    Black one has puffy cheeks and a lot of tail. It's beautiful and calm if that helps any. Looks nothing like my Australorp or Black Copper Marans, purchased elsewhere, too. It's really fluffy, though.

Yes, hopefully all girls. I would be okay with one roo but prefer none. Not a big enough flock for more than one roo so I'd have to find homes for more than one.

7. khr411

khr411 Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

Sorry I'm new here and I was wondering what my chicks were? I thought they might be black leghorns...

8. EggSighted4Life

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

At least the top one if not both appear to possibly be Silver Laced Wyandottes.

1 person likes this.
  9. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Almost positive that both chicks 1 and 2 are light Brahmas, possibly bantams if they were labeled as that. Based on the puffy cheeks I think that the black one is an EE, if there were no puffy cheeks I would think Australorp. I am really not sure about the brown one. Does it have puffy cheeks too? If so I think that it would be an EE as well, but if not probably a brown Leghorn, since Tractor Supply is known for selling these. Hope this helped! Cute birds and great pictures!

10. EggSighted4Life

Ya, I didn't think it looked like my Australorps or FBCM .

Does chick 4 have a 5th toe hiding under the fluff or is 4? And does the black one look like it has a straight comb or is it too soon to tell?

At 70 degrees, my chicks are out on pasture full time during the day by 1 week old with a huddle box, opening facing south!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by