A coyote ate my chicken today :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bock, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    At around 2:30 today, my mom heard the chickens making a racket, so she looked off the balcony. She ran outside immediately when she noticed a coyote trying to catch one of our 4 month old chickens. Unfortunately, the coyote managed to grab one of the red stars and escaped. [​IMG]

Our chickens free range on our (fenced) four acre pasture, and I just don't know how to protect them. We have lost six of our chickens these past few months, probably due to coyotes and hawks. Until now, I never witnessed them being attacked. Our to "guardians of the flock" (an 11 year old lab mix and a 4 year old chihuahua mix) were snoring away on the patio today while this went down. [​IMG] They never even noticed it, even when my mom ran out there. There are places under the fence that we could cover up to try and stop the coyotes, and a LGD isn't an option. I also would like to raise my flock to adulthood (if that ever happens) and start a free-range egg business. A pen would cost far too much and lower the egg quality.

Any suggestions? I worry for the safety of our chickens, ducks, turkey, geese, and our chihuahua who sometimes slips under the fence and roams the pasture. I would hate for any more to die! Thank you!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Make the birds a chicken yard and put electric wire around it. When a critter touches the wire they won't be back.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Unfortunitly, you can't have it both ways.The coyote knows the hens are there, it will keep coming be back until all your free ranging hens are gone.If you want any hens at this point, you have to secure them, in a manor that coyote can't get them.And yes, you litle dog is very much at rik.Coyotes love cats and small dogs as meals..as i'm sure your aware.It's sad you can't free range, your just feeding nice meals to the coyotes.Good luck...

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad...
    For me, imagining the horror of being carried off by a pred is something I cannot accept and so I have my birds in a fenced area except for short periods when I am supervising them closely (my main problem is utterly irresponsible people letting their dogs roam).

Since you mention you are worried for their safety, then a fenced area is necessary. The preds will be back to finish off the rest of your flock. It is not that expensive to make a fenced area that will deter most preds. Check out the Coop and Run section here on BYC.....

JJ

5. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    portable electric fence.....or LGD......if you have 4 acres of pasture why not LGD?

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you everyone. [​IMG] I suppose we will have to build a pen, if we want them to survive. I hate to think about what it was like to be carried off and eaten. [​IMG] I just hope it was quick..... [​IMG] . I am just so disapointed. I added on to the flock so that I could have free and happy hens, more nutritious eggs, and save a bit of food money. I had this fantasy of having my own egg stand with happy, free- ranging hens, but I guess it just isn't reality. I am thinking I might just sell the younger ones to someone who wants their own fresh eggs and can keep them safe. We'll see. [​IMG]

Organick, as much as I wish I could get another dog, the parents say we have enough animals. [​IMG] I have tried, trust me, but I know the are right. It it just not right for us right now. [​IMG]

Thanks everyone, I am hoping I can work this one out! [​IMG]

7. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    My chickens are watched over by my giant schnauzer. She is a little over 100 lbs and the chickens love her. She just lays out in the middle of them all and when they move she moves with them. I should add they were raised from chicks next to her kennel so she took to them as part of her family.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. Kotiya

Kotiya Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    South-West Ohio
    I am having same problem with coyotes in the area. Lost about 10 hens in the last 2 months. Right in the middle of the day! Our cooperative extension agent said the coyote population is *way* up and they are searching for food whenever they can however they can. I also freerange and really dont' want fences...but we have future plans for alpacas and llamas which need fences. What is a LGD? We have an old lab who notices nothing. [​IMG]

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Livestock Guardian Dog

JJ

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LGD?
    An electric fence may be a solution as most are rigged for up to 10 mile set ups.

Love the dog living with the chickens, only issue is if a pair shows up. They have been known to team up and one distracts, the other grabs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by