A coyote killed my chicken. Can we eat her?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by schmije, Nov 11, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    The dogs chased the coyote off with a different chicken in his mouth. She was still warm when we found her. It looked like her neck was snapped, so we picked her up and put her in our barn fridge. Is it safe to pluck her tomorrow and eat her? We've never dressed a chicken.

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I do not think it is a good idea. The coyote could have rabies. I think it is unsanitary. That is my 2 cents.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I wouldnt!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry for your loss.

I would cook it for that wonderful dog you have as a reward.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would do it

6. Baby_Chick

Baby_Chick Out Of The Brooder

you could eat it but you run the risk of the coyote having rabies, then you contracting it. If I were you, I wouldn't.

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I see there's quite a mix of opinions here. Is it possible to contract rabies from an animal if it's been thoroughly cooked? Wouldn't cooking it kill rabies, e coli, salmonella, etc.?

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    The chicken should have been bled out as soon as it was determined she was dead. At this stage of the game, I think it is too late. At least if you dispose of the body, you will not have to spend the next six months looking for the signs of rabies to appear in your family. Be safe, get rid of the chicken; it isn't worth the risk.

Rufus

9. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    IMHO - It is unlikely that one would catch rabies by eating a cooked rabid animal. However, the person who cleans and prepares the food is most at risk. The rabies virus is found in the saliva. A coyote bite is dirty in the first place, and the bite area of the chicken is probably bacteria infected.

The description of the coyote running away from your dogs, does not sound like a rabid animal. But one never knows [​IMG]

I personally would not eat the chicken that is bitten by an animal. I am sorry you lost your chicken.

10. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    About rabies...the virus is very delicate and dies soon after being exposed to sunlight. Theres no way you'll get rabies by eating the chicken, just cook it really well that's all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by