A Crazy Fox Story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cityfarmer12, Nov 16, 2014.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Ok, so yesterday, at about 3 in the afternoon, a fox attacked my chickens and ducks. He had already eaten the rooster, and was trying to get the other one through the fence (I was dead). I chase the fox away and check the chickens for injury. We had guests coming over at 5, so in 2 hours, i had to give a duck a bath, dry him, administer first aid, process the dead chicken, sweep and mop the floor, clean the bathroom (cause the duck was in there), take a shower, and help make dinner. Whew.

This morning, i go out to take care of the birds (but not let them out because i did not want the fox to eat anymore), and the fox was lying on the ground wrapped up in the fence. I cautiously go over and look at it. *poke* *poke* It's dead alright. The poor fox killed itself trying to get to my chickens. It was kinda sad to see such a beautiful animal lying on the ground dead. The up side is i won't lose any more chickens to him, and i will get a really nice pelt to hang on the wall. There is snow on the ground here, so he was a wet. He is hanging in our garage with a fan on him waiting to be skinned.

I tell ya, that was quite an experience.

BTW, the reason he got wrapped in the fence is i am using a temporary poultry netting while we are building the new coop and pastures. We just moved, so we don't have the best set-up yet. Hoping to get the new coop done really soon!!

2. horselover101

horselover101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    WOW, Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]But you don't have to worry about that fox anymore.[​IMG]

3. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Holy Moly crazy tale! You just can't make that stuff up, real events are so much crazier! So sorry for your loss, and ditto on seeing a pretty critter die, but at least the georgous pelt won't go to waste.

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks! [​IMG] yeah! It was quite the experience lol

5. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Did you happen to take a picture of the fox wrapped in the fence, I would love to see a picture of the scene that you discovered![​IMG]

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Here he is! Who knows if i'll ever get that fence fixed.........

[​IMG]

7. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    I know exactly how it happened. Reds are bouncers, when he first got snagged his first reaction is to jump then jump some more trying to free himself. I can see the tangle getting worse and tighter with each jump.

8. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yup, thats what i figured. poor guy...i feel kinda bad that he had to die like that :( It is totally wrapped around his neck, nose, and in his mouth. He didn't go down without a fight.

9. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    No doubt it wasn't pretty but animals find strange ways to die every day.

10. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Poor little guy, but finding him and how he met his crazy demise sure beats finding your precious chickens dead. He does have a nice pelt and a beautiful full fluffy tail though. Do yall skin and tan yourselves or have a taxidermist do it?

Boy that is crazy, I had pictured his body wrapped in fence from head to tail and was trying to figure out the cause of death. I didn't imagine his nose and mouth wrapped up. Do you think he died of asphyxiation? He must have fought one heck of a fight!

Thanks for posting a picture! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by