A crest? What is going on with my EE?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tinuviel_k, Jul 31, 2014.

1. tinuviel_k

tinuviel_k New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    One of my Easter Egger chicks is developing what looks to be a crest or a tuft on top of her head. Is this a normal occurrence? I've never seen any EE pics with feathers quite like this up top.

Here she (he?) is at 5.5 weeks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    That's not an EE.

3. KristinaE

KristinaE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Any ideas? There were three EE in the order and they all looked like micro-chipmunks. The other one had big fuzzy cheeks, this one was slim cheeked. This one is starting to develop feathers on her legs, the other is developing blue legs.

Her feather coloring is very beautiful; a kind of subtle rose-gray on the breast, interesting feather pattern in the back (you can click on the pic to make it bigger). I haven't seen anything quite like it.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Probably a cream Legbar.

5. KristinaE

KristinaE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Well! That would be an error in my favor! I wanted one of those but thought my guy would get a little ticked if I bought a $50 chick.

6. tinuviel_k

tinuviel_k New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    Well Keesmom, I looked around at cream legbar chicks and I believe you are right... I am quite sure that is what she is, or at least she has some in her background. Her coloring matches the cream legbar pullets perfectly, and she certainly has the crest. The only thing throwing me is the feather development on her legs. She had that even as a chick.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by