A crowing hen???!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zebralady, Feb 25, 2013.

1. zebralady

zebralady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    I have a seabright bantam, almost a year old, she began crowing yesterday. I observed her crowing 6 times yesterday. I caged her to ensure that she was indeed a hen (egg laying) and low and behold she left me an egg this morning. She was crowing today too. It is definately a crow...head back breast out and cock-a-doodle-doo.......anyone else have experience with crowing hens? She is also a bit more aggressive with new hens than my other hens are....

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Hens may do that in the absence of a roo

3. zebralady

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    A chicken breeder friend of mine suggested that she may be hermaphrodidic.....I have never heard of any of this!!! lol. The good news is that her crow is significantly quieter than a roo so I am hoping that I won't have to rehome her (I live in city limits and roos are not allowed, but, there is no ordinance regarding crowing hens :))

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

It's very rare, but it is possible. What happens is a hen has two glands in it's body. One is for female hormones, and one is for male hormones. The male hormone gland doesn't develop in a hen, but sometimes when a rooster is not in a flock, that gland in the hen's body starts growing to replace the rooster's position. What you get is a hen who is feminine, but has some masculine traits, hope this helps!

5. zebralady

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    Wonderfully helpful!! Thank you so much. I grew up with chickens when I was small but, it has been so long I just feel like a newbie all over again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by