A Curious Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BullardBarnyard, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BullardBarnyard

BullardBarnyard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Ok, now I know this question might not fit the category, but in this case the chickens may be the Predators or Pests in question,
    We have a chihuahua who loves our chickens as much as we do. Whenever it's time to check them, he freaks out and gets excited, and speeds out the door.
    Is there any diseases that can harm him? Like eating chicken poop or anything? I googled it and found nothing.

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Dogs love chicken poop. It's gross, but true. Parasites are the only concern I have about my dog getting an occasional chicken crunchy. I dont think you need to worry as long as you regularly worm them.

3. BullardBarnyard

BullardBarnyard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Lately we've been letting him be outside the gate and watch them, since they are getting bigger and tend to peck at him a lot. So I don't think we need to worry, but theres still some days when he has to go inside. Thank you:)

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Do you have a rooster? Cause a roo could hurt your little dog with his spurs. If not, then just watch the hens that they don't pick on the little cutie lol

5. cherwin

cherwin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I have 2 very tiny chihuahuas and a mini schnauser and my chickens were all raised with them, including my roosters. Sometimes they do get into a confrontation when they get in each others way but nothing serious. They generally get along very well. With the weather warming and the new coop and run almost finished will be moving the flock outside to their own house soon and the dogs can have the house to themselves again, except for the brooder babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by