A curtain over coop door to keep warm/cold air out of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tororider, Mar 4, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Has anyone tried to put a plastic/vinyl curtain over the coop door during the winter to try and keep the cold air from just flowing in? I hope I am explaining what I mean well enough.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I use two inch wide strips of overlapping pond liner rubber. Works well and helps keep the coop warmer in the winter. Vinyl curtain the hens may peck apart rather quickly, but you can try it.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO just said tonight how he plans to incorporate a curtain near the door to avoid bringing the cold into the coop when we enter it. He has some stiff vinyl that he plans to use. It's a idea that his family used in the commercial houses. I'm sorry I can't explain the concept better.

4. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    That would sure be nice on these cold, windy days. I leave my huge door open all day or else there wouldn't be enough light in the coop since the one window is on the north side. I would want a clear vinyl curtain. Great idea!

5. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    I've seen it done. Works great.

I know a lady that uses an old "mexico blanket" cut to size. She covers the whole door with one solid piece.

There is only a 2x2inch hole missing in the bottom corner. I guess it helps.

I would have used the "strips" method, but I think about stuff like this too much and I should keep things simple.

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    This is how I did mine. I took a Horse mat, and cut it into 2 inch strips. works Great!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by