A daft idea?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priss, Dec 16, 2009.

1. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Me and the husband are going to see his family for a few days before Christmas. It's a three and a half hour drive and a thirty minute ferry crossing.
    He suggested takin our three call ducks with us. They have a little hutch as well as the hut they sleep in every night. The hutch would fit in the car. His mum has a garden they could hang out in during the day, although there are lots of cats in their neighbourhood (though the few cats near our house don't give them any trouble but I don't know if that's all cats)
    What do you think? It'd be lovely for his grandmother to meet them but I don't want to distress them too much. Do you think they'd freak out at the car journey and having to sleep in a different place? They are little explorers when it comes to the neighbour's garden...but they didn't like it when they got a new door on their hut.
    Have told husband that the hutch would have to go in the porch at night though because it's one of those rabbit hutches with a bit part of it wire and exposed whereas their hut is all sealed and warm and padlocked from foxes.
    Okally so is this like the worst idea? Should we jus try and get a neighbour to look after them or should we take em to see the family?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well it is your choice, frankly for me it would depend on the quality of the proposed ducksitter. I have traveled with ducks and they don't seem to enjoy the experience, they don't like new things or new people. If they stay home the surroundings are the same but the keeper is new, they will probably miss you and you them. If they go with you, you are familiar but the people you are visiting are not (Have you asked how the family will like having duck guests?). If they do travel I have found that they seem more content if kept covered so that they can NOT see outside. Often they will fuss for a while and then doze off with some more fussing when they wake up. It is really up to you.

3. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If it makes you feel better im taking my 8 ducks 6 pekins and 2 mallards on a 12 hour car ride to a different state. So do you what you need to do I guess. It is not going to fun but I think they will survive it.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think goosedragon said it all.

5. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Woah, duckie road trip!!
    I might leave em here, I don't think Mr. Snoogles is speakin to me. He has been really clingy all day. Hugging in tight to my ankles the whole time I was cleaning their hut out, so when I finished I sat down on the grass with him and he hopped up onto my lap for fussin. But then he mooched down my legs and sat on my toes and went and fell off onto his back. He wasn't very happy about that. Then later as I was puttin them to bed, he made a wrong turn and got lost and came up to me askin to jus be picked up and plonked in the run like I usually do when he's bein a pain in the butt, only my husband came out the house as I was pickin him up and whereas he's usually happy to be picked, he panicked at my husband and started flapping and I put him straight back down but he made another dodgy landing lol. Now he not really speakin to me an I feel baaaad lol.

6. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:THANK YOU!~gd

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

That was your 1000th post!

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have taken as many as four runners on a 14 hour over two days car ride. They love riding in the car it seems. Especially if they can see out the window. I had all four diapered in the back seat one time, and they LOVED it. They tend to make more noise during daylight, like regular quacking, but will be super quiet when it gets dark out.

9. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Was it victor and ming mei? I can imagine overtakin your car and havin two little ducks lookin out the window at me looool. I bet it was too cute.

Oooh and congrats on your 1000th post. I feel honoured it was on my thread lool.

My husband reeeally wants to take them. I think I may put my foot down though, that is, if we can find a neighbour to look after them.

10. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

That was your 1000th post!

Only on these boards I have been Posting elsewhere for years. I wonder what weird name I get for going over 1000?~gd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by