A damn dog chased my chickens away, will they return?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Beetle08, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Beetle08

Beetle08 New Egg

Dec 5, 2008
    We live in the suburbs. Today a neighborhood beagle chased my 3 hens out of our fenced yard and away. There's no sign of them. The stupid dog went home. My husband is out looking for the birds. Is there a chance they will come home on their own?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Absolutely:) They are in a good hiding spot. You will most likely not find them till they come out....probably when it's time to go up. Look in any holes.... under things, culverts, etc....

Keep up posted

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

what msbear said + 1

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    birds are much better about coming home than dogs are...especially beagles...have had a beagle missing for a year! A buddy brought me some pigeons (no not homers) one got loose in the changing of cages...I let my kids help and apparently I should have let them do it...yup flew out of my hands [​IMG]...it went to his house...sat on the porch until he opened the door and then flew in like he lived there!...did it twice!!

5. Beetle08

Beetle08 New Egg

Dec 5, 2008
    Well, one is back in the coop, having been chased home by my husband. There is another in the neighbor's yard. The third is still hiding. In any case, the crisis seems to be winding down. Thanks for your encouragement.

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    When I had a fox attack, we lost 4.
    I had been gone, , so mom didnt tell me until 3 days later, there was no point in looking. If they were gone that long, I thought, they must be gone forever. Well, a week later we heard clucking in the grass.....
    Anyway, my point is they are really good at hiding, and they know where the food is, they will come home

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What about the beagle. Will it being staying home from now on?

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, first off... [​IMG] glad to hear one made it back. The others will come home...especially once it starts getting dark! [​IMG] I would keep your one in the coop and when it gets a little later, the others will show up there.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Shelly

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Teach97 said "birds are much better about coming home than dogs are...especially beagles...have had a beagle missing for a year!"

OMG!! mee too! Ours was only gone for a few weeks. We had Honey (his name:) sightings two towns over. hahahaa then one day he was at the door....as fat as a pot bellied pig [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you found two. I hope you find your other girl. I would get a paintball gun and if that dog comes back blast it with a brightly colored paint ball and then call animal control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by