1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A day in the life of my chickens (pics)...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mulemom, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's my coop......
    [​IMG]

You can see the girls asking to come out and play
    [​IMG]

Here are the roosts....
    [​IMG]

And nest boxes...
    [​IMG]

As soon as I let them out the run for the mule pen
    [​IMG]

And dust bathe in the mule poop....
    [​IMG]

Except for Uncle Bob. He prefers the flowerbed (just made it, no flowers yet).
    [​IMG]

"My I join you" says the big black dog who can understand the value of a good mule poop roll...
    [​IMG]

"Nope. Get back in your pen!" says Lippy, the dog herding hen. And she chased her all the way back to the dog pen (which hasen't had the gate shut in over a year)!
    [​IMG]

I wonder what the little white mule is eating!
    [​IMG]

After relaxing at the mule poop spa & resort they are off to a delectable dinner of bugs...
    [​IMG]

And wild grapes.
    [​IMG]

"Finally!"Romeo says, "The dust bath is empty!" (The horse would never stoop to rolling...at least not when someone has a camera!)
    [​IMG]

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    that is really cool! i love that last pic! what do you use for nesting boxes?

3. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    The nest boxes are just some green storage bins I picked up at Walmart. I use them for all kinds of things. They were cheap (around $4) and they can be hosed out when cleaning is needed. My gilrs are only 12 weeks old, so they haven't used them yet, other then sleeping on top of. I had to put a board on the top row so they could roost up there without caving in the nest boxes. [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Very nice Mulemom!
    Thanks for sharing.

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Very cute! I like your coop:)

6. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    ROFL!!!
    I loved your commentary with the photos!!!!

Is Uncle Bob a Silver Spangled Hamburg? We got one as a freebie from McMurray. Yours looks a little different in the coloring but I think I see the blue legs. What a pretty (handsome...lol!) bird!!

Our dogs love eating what your mules are eating. We call the cat and the chickens "Pez despensers" for the dogs [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is our Tess:
    [​IMG]

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I LOVE Uncle Bob. I have a thing for rose combs. I just think they're beautiful. Can you tell, look at my roo:
    [​IMG]

8. imloulou

imloulou Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Quote:I like those rose combs too. They are soooo...uh...Odd. It looks like a helmet. We just stare at Tess and can't believe it is on her head.

Lisa

ok...editing to add that I think I am still in denial that Tess is a roo...I am still calling him a her!!!! [​IMG] Tess is definitely a he!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  9. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I like those rose combs too. They are soooo...uh...Odd. It looks like a helmet. We just stare at Tess and can't believe it is on her head.

Lisa

ok...editing to add that I think I am still in denial that Tess is a roo...I am still calling him a her!!!! [​IMG] Tess is definitely a he!!!

My DH thinks it's the ugliest thing he's ever seen!! I love it. He thinks all combs are wierd though, he says they feel like gummy worms.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    WOW....You've got some very lucky critters there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by