A Day of Firsts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by buckeyefever, Jun 19, 2010.

1. buckeyefever

buckeyefever In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Sunbury, OH
    Today I moved my girls into their new coop. They have been hanging out in the basement in two separate areas ( 2 were received a few weeks after the first 6).

The introduction of my GLW & Buff Orp to the Golden Comets, went very well. They were so confused by being in a new place, they didn't even pay attention to the fact that they had never seen each other before. This was a huge relief. [​IMG]

Even though that went well, I felt so bad for all of them because it was so stinking hot today. This was the hottest day yet at 90 degrees. They were all panting and spreading their wings. They didn't want to hang out in the shade under a tree, they just wanted to hang out in the coop. I ended up running to the store and getting several bags of ice, which I then put in some Tidy Cat litter containers. I spread these out in their coop with the hope that they would lay up against them to cool off. It kind of worked.

They are now sleeping soundly in a secure coop with an electronet fence around it but I'm a mess...I can't stop worrying about them. I've checked on them twice and they are safe but I keep having visions of awful raccoons. I can't wait until morning. [​IMG]

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Misting systems! I have a few in my coops, but I put them only about 3 foot off the ground. My flock loves them and it lowers the temp. so very much! I also have a big metal fan up in the top corner blowing downwards onto everyone. So between the misters and fan our flock is cooler than fly in an ice cube! lol My husband teases me and says if I give them to much more he's going to go knock on the coop door and ask if he can come in & watch t.v. LOL.

We have the systems set up so one of the misters blows directly on our bunnies too, and they lay right underneath it! If you were to see our flock you'd wonder why the saying "madder than a wet hen" doesn't come into play because our flock is soaked all day! We are currently having 110 degree days. You can get misting systems at walmart for as low as 11.00! Or an extendable one for 20.00!

They will all be ok! They have a great "mama hen" watching over them! CONGRATS on the first today!

3. buckeyefever

buckeyefever In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Sunbury, OH
    Thanks! I don't have elec in the coop but I can always run an extension cord. I do really like both ideas - mister and fan. I'm off tomorrow so I will definitely make some changes.

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    You can also freeze some 2 liter bottles of water and place them around so they can lay near them. My girls love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by