A death in the flock of two

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by R.I.P -tetra, Nov 25, 2017.

1. R.I.P -tetra

R.I.P -tetra In the Brooder

Nov 25, 2017
    so my family has 2 chickens, tapioca and tetra. tetra passed away from a fox and or hawk etc... but we still have tapioca. I have just been wondering if this will effect her egg laying or behavior since we had such a small flock.So far we have just seen taps looking for tetra and calling out for her.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

~

2. Lalo Moreno

Lalo Moreno Chirping

Jun 7, 2017
    This will lower egg production. Chickens are social animals with an extraordinary hierarchy system, she might not die or be supper sad about loosing her friend but she will be more stressed as a sole bird.

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  3. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    As mentioned above, chickens are extremely social animals, and are meant to live in flocks. I would recommend getting another one to be with Tapioca as soon as you can, as she will probably be really stressed, which will lower egg production and might change her behavior a lot. As a general rule you don't want to have one lone chicken unless you have other poultry that they are really close with.

4. R.I.P -tetra

Nov 25, 2017
    Reply: Thank you for the advice, and this is to all of u. we are getting another chicken, but should we get the same type as tetra/one that looks like tetra, or a different looking chicken?

5. Zoomie

Zoomie Songster

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    It won't matter much what the chicken looks like, your chicken can probably tell the difference and will know it's not the same chicken. They are able to recognize each other, much better than we can (lol, that's why it was humans who invented leg bands).

6. WhiteRockCrazyBird

WhiteRockCrazyBird Songster

Nov 16, 2017
    central Illinois
    So sorry you lost your Tetra! Tapioca will need a friend even though the addition of a new bird will cause some stress. Probably one her age and size would be best? Just my thought, there are others that can give you a much better educated answer.

R.I.P -tetra likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome Any chance of adding two hens ? That way when another bird dies two will remain as company for one another.

8. R.I.P -tetra

Nov 25, 2017
    we wish we could, although we cannot. we live in a place that does not exactly tolerate chickens. Even so thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated!

9. R.I.P -tetra

Nov 25, 2017
    thanks for the advice! we will certainly use it when looking for a new chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: