A death :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lnm03, Nov 5, 2008.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    So I woke up this morning and went to the coop to find that I have lost my first chick! [​IMG] I dont know why or what happened as they all seemed ok last night!!! All the others were huddled around it this morning and my DH said somethings wrong with that chick and then we realized it was gone! [​IMG] Any ideas on what happened? Should I be concerned about the others?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm afraid there's not really enough information to go on.

How old were they, how many in brooder, temps, food/water and other information would help.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Over many years of hatching and raising chicks I have lost several in that manner. I would not be too concearned if you did not see any signs of illness. Perhaps it was just not a strong chick to begin with. At any rate, don't beat yourself up over it, it just happens sometimes. [​IMG] I'm very sorry and I know it hurts but just focus on the ones left and try to give them the best care you can. They will give you years of enjoyment.

4. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    Quote:It was one of my bantam chicks they are 8 days today and there were 16 in there the temp is 88 and they all seem VERY comfy! I have been giving them regular water fresh 2x a day and they are on medicated chick starter feed!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It does happen, some just fail to thrive and arent strong enough to make it !!! Dont worry to much if noone looked sick !!

So Sorry for your loss !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The same thing just happened to me yesturday on a 5 day old chick. Ya didn't happen to get them from ideal did ya? Mine showed 2 symptoms hershey squirts and gasping, despite my efforts i lost it. I agree with the others, sometimes some are just stronger than others. Best of luck to you with the rest of them [​IMG]

7. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    Quote:I did get those from Ideal....come to think of it I do remember two days ago I noticed someone had the hershey squirts but I didnt know who maybe it was that one!

8. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    A few others have had a few chicks die from ideal too, I am wondering if its something at the hatchery [​IMG]

9. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    Quote:Thats scarey! I have other chicks too that I got from WELP a week before I got those I hope they dont make each other sick! They are in the same brooder separated by a 1/2 wall.

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    That is scary!!! I almost put a batch of serama babies in with these babies but decided at the last minute that i better keep them seperated being there is a 2 week age difference. I would watch them like a hawk to see if any others are displaying any symptoms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by