A Deck for the Ducks?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
All of the ducklings i have right now are constantly trying to come lay up on the porch all day so i have been considering building them a small wooden Deck to sun on in the yard, what are your guys opinions?

I figure i could always add a roof to it later on if i need to so they can continue using it. It's just that 25 growing ducklings sleeping and pooping on the porch randomly through the day is pretty messy!!

I've got ducks that lay on my porch all day but I'm pretty sure it's about being close to the house since mine seem to like the shade. Also, I have a couple Muscovy that will peck at the door to ask for treats. lol

Mine are all Muscovy babies too. They're funny to watch, especially when the dogs run by, they are just completely unphased by them or being walked over or by. they've pretty much taken over the porch, lol. I don't think it's so much for shade, they lay under the parked motor home when they wanna get out of the sun or get too warm.

I am not sure exactly why they do it unless it's just to be close to where i am
idunno.gif

You are wasting your time building them a deck, they simply wont use it. All they want it being close to their family. Mine are doing the same. They lay on the deck with us or simply wait for treats. Later they lay in front of the living room windows while we watch tv.

Maybe if you build a deck and start to feed them on it...making them used to going there for the food might work...

25! That is going to be a lot of poop to scoop.

Invest in a pressure sprayer to clean off the deck and just add it to the cleaning routine.
barnie.gif
We have tried everything to get them off our patio.

We tried giving them treats in a specific area of the yard, a gentle spray from the water hose, chasing them off...all with no luck. The other patio they have access to but isn't attached to the house is never pooped on even though it is the same constuction. We put up a fence of chicken wire just to discourage them but they can just hop over it. They just want to be close to the rest of the flock and are determined to keep an eye on the treat room.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom