A devil got my chicken...

domesticauliflower

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
A few days ago a Tassie devil took one of our two chickens (Isa Browns, 20 weeks old) and now the other is pining I think. She is lethargic, has little interest in eating, sits by my back door most of the day and won't go back into her coop at night. She appears to be physically ok but perhaps has become unhinged psychologically. Should I just give her time or do I get her another companion immediately? They were great buddies and free ranged together all day in our garden. My son, who didn't close their yard gate securely, is also devastated.
sad.png

Chickens are meant to be in a flock. I would get her a companion or 2 asap. That's why she's sitting at your back door. She's looking for company. It's not normal for them to be alone and she is more then likely depressed. See if you can get a hen approx her age...not a peep. That way she has an instant buddy. Good Luck!!

Kiss your son and your lone chicken for me. Sounds like they are both having a rough time. And tell your son that even the Fort Knox of coops sometimes can't keep the predators out.

-Meghan

Quote:
e
Do you mean Tasmanian Devil? Then you must be from Australia or Tasmania. Years and years ago I used to write to a lady in Tasmania and she sent me a postcard of a Tasmanian Devil, they are quite the scary little creatures. I didn't mean to get away from your thread and I am sorry about the lost of your bird. Oh yeah welcome to the boards.

I agree with the others. Your poor little girl needs a friend or two or three. In the meantime, I'd be holding her, giving her treats and trying to comfort her. I feel so sorry for her but even sorrier for her friend. I hope you don't have any more problems!

Ellen

Thank you so much. Off to the chicken breeder today! He is such a nice man I felt guilty about telling him last night on the phone. Cheers, Cauliflower

Quote:
e
Do you mean Tasmanian Devil? Then you must be from Australia or Tasmania. Years and years ago I used to write to a lady in Tasmania and she sent me a postcard of a Tasmanian Devil, they are quite the scary little creatures. I didn't mean to get away from your thread and I am sorry about the lost of your bird. Oh yeah welcome to the boards.

Tasmania, yes. They are scary looking but nocturnal so the only time we see them around my home is as road kill. Actually devil populations have dwindled alarmingly in the last few years due to a virus that causes a facial tumor disease and the survival of the species is seriously under threat sadly.

Back
Top Bottom