"A different world" by AnimalsComeFirst

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Oct 27, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    As I pecked halfheartedly at crumbs on the steel floor of my cage, I remembered my life before I came to this place. It was warm and safe… the day I hatched from my egg, I felt loved and protected. My mom cuddled me and my siblings and I ate and drank until I was about to burst. I searched the grass for bugs and seeds morning and then sunbathed at noon. It was a good life.
    My owner was pretty kind, but her farm wasn’t doing well. A calf got taken a few days ago by coyotes and a mare died weeks before due to colic. She had to downsize her chickens and I was one of the unlucky ones to leave. She needed money to fix repairs and buy food, so she sold us to a factory that sells eggs and meat.

And now here I am, a totally different life has changed within hours. I looked along the row of cages and watched as a few hens pecked at feces and drank water off the ground from the rain last night that drained onto the floor. A few dead chickens scattered the floors. No sunlight ever shown, for there were no windows. Every hour, men would come in a grab a few hens by the neck and walk out of the room, smiling and laughing with the other employees; as if he didn’t even know or care what he was doing! I tried to flap my wings, but there were 6 other chickens in my cage which made it crowded. I made a sad squeaky noise and stared at the cold, steel cage that my feet were forced to eat, sleep and sit on.

2 men came in and opened my cage grabbed my neck; but he didn’t notice he only grabbed the outer layer of my skin. As he walked outdoors into the bright sunlight; I squawked loudly and sprang from his grasp. I ran, squawking at the top of my lungs. I headed for the woods across the parking lot. I tripped over branches because my toenails were too overgrown to function properly. I suddenly dropped to the forest floor in exhaustion. My eyes fluttered and finally closed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Soooo.... what do you all think? If you like it, I may write more. (Not a true story... not that I know of atleast. Its fiction.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG]

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Don't worry, it gets happier/better!

4. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I awoke… my legs sore and my hunger pain growing. I stood up unsteadily and started to walk towards a creek. I drank and then flapped my wings. “Ah, I needed that!” I thought to myself. I scratched my nails on rocks and soon my nails were trimmed. I lived in the woods for many moons, only stopping to rest or find food. I traveled and soon grew familiar with surviving in nature. I ate bugs, seeds, berries and just about anything. I often came upon bird feeders and ate seeds with the wild birds. But one day, I was confronted with one of the most weirdest creatures…

As I trotted along a meadow, I spotted some big brown animals ahead. I slowed down and walked slowly towards them, hidden in the brush. As I neared them, I saw that they had feathers like me! Some had big beards, while others had waddles like me. They walked and ate like me too. “They must be fat chickens!” I thought as I became less and less fearful. A twig snapped beneath my feet; all their heads popped up and a weird noise came out of them…. “GOBBLE GOOOOBLE GOBBLE!!!” they chattered. I eyed them suspiciously and then slowly came out into the open. “Who….goes….there.” one large turkey said slowly, eating food between words. I didn’t respond. “Come.” He said. I neared him slowly and causiously. They were all pecking at a rotting pumpkin that someone threw out in the woods. “Join us, young gosling, for the feast that will fill your little beak right to the brim!” one wailed. I devoured the food with them, no longer afraid.

Ever since that day, I lived with the large birds. They taught me many things, like how to talk the “right” way. “You must let it come out, do not hold it in. No chirp will bring the message! Fill your lungs and gobble the right way, young gosling!” (He never figured out that I was a chicken, I guess.) I breathed in and…. “SQUAGOOBBLE!!!!” I called.
    “We will work on it.” He sighed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by