A Docile Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredRocks3, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Hello BYC, I have an ameraucana, rhode islamd red rooster that's way too docile. He's in a different pen because our hens beat him until he bleeds. When he's in the pen, the hens lunge at him but he just stands there and watches them hit the wall. He's super flighty as well. Any advice for me to help him with the hens??? Thank you all!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    How old is he? Once mature, 12 months for sure, he should normally be dominant over the hens.

Chris

3. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    He's is about 4 1/2 months old, will he be fine with the other hens? Should I remove him from the smaller pen and put him in the large pen?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    He's still a baby! He may look like a grown roo, but he still thinks he's a chick! It's normal for a young cockerel to defer to all of the older chickens in the flock. He's both in awe of them and afraid of them.

He won't get his flood of hormones until this coming spring, early February at the earliest. Then he'll be driven to try to dominate the hens. He'll be rejected by most of them until he reaches full maturity. After that, they'll begin to accept his dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by