a dominant hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PolarBear, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    I have 6 hens and 1 is being very dominant and mean. She will peck other hens that are trying to eat or drink. If they are standing where she wants to be she will peck them. Is this normal or do I need to do something about it? If something does need to be done, what?

2. chickcritty

chickcritty In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think it's normal as long as she's not injuring them and they're able to get food and water. One of my hens is the same way. She'll peck at the others usually when I'm giving out treats. She used to make them screech but now I think they know she's the boss and to stay out of her way. She doesn't peck as much now because the others can anticipate when she's about to do it and they hop out of the way.

I think your hen is just establishing her status at the top!

3. chickcritty

chickcritty In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I think it's normal as long as she's not injuring them and they're able to get food and water. One of my hens is the same way. She'll peck at the others usually when I'm giving out treats. She used to make them screech but now I think they know she's the boss and to stay out of her way. She doesn't peck as much now because the others can anticipate when she's about to do it and they hop out of the way.

I think your hen is just establishing her status at the top!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: