A DREAM to move to ALaska

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by tobin123, Jun 20, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    It has been our DREAM to move to ALaska for years now,but we just never have did anything but DREAM.Well we HATE this heat and really have no reasons to stay here in Indiana but his job.We would love to make a BIG MOVE.We have never lived any where else but here.SO ,what do you do/how do you decide on a move like that.I think we should start saving $$$$ then visit there or research housing and the job market.Homeschooling is something as well. If we do decide I just want to sale a lot and start a road trip to Alaska.Any advice,or anybody make a move.

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Jobs! Research jobs in Alaska first! Also, which part of Alaska? It is so big that different areas have different climates (some parts are colder and darker than others in the winter). If you find there are jobs there, then you could start saving for a trip there (like a vacation). You could also send resumes to whatever jobs you are interested in. Once you have enough money saved for the trip to check it out...GO! You don't have to move initially...visit it first and talk to everyone you meet about living there. I have wanted to go for YEARS, but with 3 kids and our own business it just didn't happen. Also my parents are still living and I can't go that far away from them (my dad is almost 91!). Now our last 2 boys are ready for college, so I feel compelled to get them through that first...but after that? I don't know...I love my job here, and I have great friends here, but still...I'm just saying...still might make it up there yet! I don't recommend going that far without a lot of research and preparations. Alaska is sooooo far away and moving costs so much and it is so very different from living in 'the lower 48'. So don't just quit your jobs, load up the truck and go...do your homework first, then if it looks good to ya...do it!

3. tobin123

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Thanks,Hubby is thinking Alaska, or Minnesota.I am a BiG planner.I have to know everyhting and everything about everything.Last time I thought about moving I called and got papers on it all.

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Good deal! Keep me posted on what yall do...who knows? I might come visit![​IMG]

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You want to move here, save at LEAST $10K for the move alone. That won't get you much to get started with here. As far as jobs, if you want a good one, plan on living in a big city - just like any other in the US, or plan on a LONG commute.

If you're going to rent, plan on at least 700+ for something small. Buying will depend on where you want to buy and how far you want to drive to work and if you want electricity and running water.

Be prepared to be COLD at least 7 months of the year if not more. Be prepared for LARGE mosquitoes. Be prepared to pay a lot more for most things that you buy on a daily basis.

If it sounds like I am trying to scare you, I am. Too many come here horribly unprepared for a LOT of things that Alaska can throw at you.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Wolfwoman left out...........be prepared for days with daylight only lasted four hours. I have a friend in Wasilla, AK, she is also a member here who tells me about the weather, etc. up there. I, personally, would be depressed all the time. Also plan on wild animals coming into your yard, even it town. I think the best thing would be to go the the Alaska thread on here and ask lots of questions. I think you almost have to be born there to appreciate living there full time. Like said, above, very expensive and harsh conditions if you are not used to it. But it is amazing country! Probably the most beautiful state we have ...in cold weather. [​IMG] People up there are very strong people and I respect them. [​IMG]

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You're right ozark hen, the amount of daylight and darkness didn't bother me, so I forgot about it [​IMG] Actually where we live and in the Palmer/Wasilla area the amount of daylight in the winter is still about 4-5 hours, so really not a TON different that some of the northern states. 30 to 50 below weather with a wind chill of 50-100 below is NOT uncommon tho!

Also, most people up here love to hunt, fish or trap...and wear fur. If you're a tree-hugger, you won't get a lot of sympathy up here. Gotta love dogs, remember this is the home of the Iditarod.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing...

8. tobin123

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    No Tree Hugging here,we need the cold and our dogs would love it there.WE will be saving (allready have started).THe hunting,trapping and fishing is us been there and finished it.The wild animals,that just a part of life in Alaska.Of course though we will have to visit first,The most important thing is a job for hubby.
    THANKS for sooooo much info allready

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by