A Duck Dilema

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheEggCollecter, Jul 25, 2014.

1. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Hello everybody!

It has been so long since i have last been on Backyard Chickens and i am happy to be back on because I have quite the thread here... So yesterday I was walking down the road when I saw what looked like dead cat or something. It was all black and laying on the side of the road. i walked up to it and saw that it was surrounded by a group of eight eggs! Five of them were in good shape and three were cracked, bloody, and had dead babies in them. The larger black figure was a mother duck, she was also deceased.[​IMG]I touched one egg and it was still warm, the dead mother duck was too. I grabbed the eggs and ran back to my house. i put the eggs up to a flashlight and saw that there were little ducks growing inside, and boy were they big! i had a incubator with four chicken eggs in it that were supposed to hatch that night so i put the duck eggs in it and prayed that it wasn't too late. I don't know how it happened but this morning one chick and one duck were both moving around in the incubator! Over the next couple of hours all five duck eggs hatched but the other three chicks didn't. So i have one chick and five ducks in the brooder.

Now i live in Massachusetts and the only wild duck i have seen is the mallard. I have never ever seen a breed of black duck here, but who knows maybe they exist because i know nothing about wild ducks. I have scoured the internet searching for a breed of black wild ducks native to New England but i have had no luck. I was hoping maybe i could get some experts to tell me what breed of duck they are. If you guys don't know then maybe it is some domestic duck that got thrown out of a car because nobody wanted it? I don't know, that would explain the cracked eggs... The babies are also black but have light yellow splotches all over. Here are some pictures.

Thank you,
    TheEggCollecter [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry i could only get pictures of three of them the rest were sleeping![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    If anybody has any ideas on what breed of duck this ducklings are it would be very helpful. Also, i am new to ducks so if there is something you think i should know about raising them it would also be very helpful.

Thank You,
    TheEggCollecter[​IMG]

3. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Songster

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    I think you have a Black Swedish and/or Cayuga, both domestics. Do a search on those and see if you can identify the momma. Was there a nest or did it look like they were dumped. You think a car hit her? That is sad but a great ending. Have fun with them.

4. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Songster

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are a few pics of mine.

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Okay... wow! Thank you so much. I looked up the Cayuga and that looks just like the mother! She was all black and shiny green just like the picture. There was no nest therefore I do think she was dumped. I mean what duck decides to raise a family by the side of a busy road? I am not sure if a car hit her, she was dead but not hurt in any way. Do think she could have died of stress?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
    Maybe this will help, and what a nice ending to a tragedy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

7. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Thank You so much Miss Lydia! I just learned some things that i didn't know!

8. Miss Lydia

Those ducklings sure are cute.. Congrats!!

9. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I Know! Here are some more pictures...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chick is starting to act like the ducks![​IMG]Hopefully he or she fits in with the rest of my chickens!

10. Miss Lydia

It's imprinted on the ducklings, it may have to have therapy soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: