A duck found us. Chicken friendly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hopp2it, Feb 4, 2014.

1. hopp2it

hopp2it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    I am posting here on the duck board thinking you guys might have more information than over on the chicken boards, but I guess it's a toss up really! :)

A few days ago amid below to just about freezing temps a black duck found her way to our yard. She was timid at first but has recently let me pick her up and pet her without much a fuss. She wasn't afraid of my kids or my husband on his atv. We have given her some food, water, and straw to nest in under our porch which seems to be where she likes hiding out. I called a couple of our neighbors who also have farm animals and no one has claimed her.

We feel she is someone's domestic duck who got out/got an itch to fly and can't get back home. She has no bands on her to identify her. Is it possible we can put her in the pen with our chickens where there is covered nesting for her at night and a water supply she can share? I do not want her to go into the coop/run but just the fenced in area of our yard. We have 7 hens of varying breeds all under 2 years old.

Almost forgot to include she does not seem injured at all. Her legs work fine and she flaps her wings just fine to readjust her feathers after I hold her.

Thanks for any advice.

Dia

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. MixedFowl

MixedFowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I have ducks and chickens. In my barn I have my 4 ducks in with 2 of my chickens, so, you should be fine. There is actually a rooster in the room and he has accepted the ducks as part of the flock.

3. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    If it is a she then yes, it can go in with the chickens.

4. MixedFowl

MixedFowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I have male and female ducks with my chickens and they seem fine, but the ducks have been around chickens when they were growing. So that might make a difference.

5. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    [​IMG]
    My ducks are all fine around the chickens too, but the drakes have plenty of their own girls.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Hope she will be safe from predators under your porch. Nice that you are taking her in. I guess she knew where to go. There is a wealth of info on this site about ducks, feeding, care, etc. If she is a girl, and you are sure, then putting her in with the chickens should be fine. If the duck is a drake, it may not be ok for your hens, as the anatomy is different and if he tries to mate your chickens, it can be dangerous for them. Be aware, ducks are messier than chickens. One duck should not make much of a mess. But this one sounds like a very sweet duck. I hope it works out. He/she will need water that they can bathe in, a large flat pan is good (a kiddie pool is even better) and water deep enough that they can wash face/eyes and drink it. This is very important. I like that pan to be small enough that they cannot get in. Sometimes a rock in the middle discourages that. Mine love chopped veggies and peas as treats. Mealworms are a hit too.

7. RubberDuckee

RubberDuckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Tennessee
    It certainly sounds like she was someone's pet duck. Poor kid. I hope she integrates well with your chickens. Good luck and thanks for taking care of her!!! I bet she is very happy to have people around to love her!

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I was going to say- sounds like she's lucky to have wandered into your yard. I think she should be ok, just keep the water outside of any area you want clean.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If a predator can get under your porch she doesn't have a chance in the coop she will be safe.

Bless you for caring now keep her safe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by