A dumpee

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by columbiacritter, Jun 19, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Production red? Hen?

She appeared on our rural road this morning and spent most of the day apparently trying to get into the neighbors coop. Since we are watching their place for them we nabbed her and put her in a dog crate away from their hens. Hopefully she doesn't have anything she could pass to them thru the wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She looks young and healthy, no sign of mites or lice.

2. pongoid

pongoid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Looks like he to me.

But I would be happy to learn the physical signs of a Production Red, NH Red and RIR.

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Looks kinda girly to me. I'm only basing that on seeing no pointy feathers.. She is really pretty!

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It may be a dumb question but did you put the egg in with her? If not I think that is a good sign the it is a hen......

Either way it looks like a hen...

Chris

5. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Looks like a hen to me.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Would definitely say it is a hen on 2 points 1) the egg which is obvious and 2) I have red stars and the rooster would be creme colored not red. That sure is a beautiful hen and they lay such large perfect eggs.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    ROFLMAO!!!! [​IMG] All I can say is it was after 10 when I took that pic and I was totally wasted from a really evil week.............She must have laid the egg minutes after we put her in there. Good thing I can laugh at myself cuz I had no idea it was in there until people said something about it being in the pic.

She is a beauty, I will confine her to see if she has anything and put up a sign to see if maybe she's a local that wandered off. Wouldn't mind keeping her cuz she really is pretty.

8. pongoid

pongoid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Hey I am new...gimme a break! I didnt even see the egg in the pic!

9. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Yep, I saw the egg right away too. But even without the egg, she looks exactly like my "Rhode Island Red" from Welp, which I am now told is a "production red", or a cross between the RIR and New Hampshire Red. I'll post of pic of mine for you. And BTW, my "production reds" lay the biggest eggs of all my girls. They are huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    OMG, too funny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by