A even luckier clucker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luckycluckfarms, Jun 25, 2011.

1. luckycluckfarms

luckycluckfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Oregon
    Hello. Obviously I am a new member and delighted to be part of your community. I truly appreciated reading all of the guidelines for new members and am pleased to see that this is a going to be a great place to bounce ideas, share stories and get advice about chickens. I have owned approximately (always loosing one or another to old age or predators) 25 chickens for the past 8 years and to say I'm chicken crazy would be an understatement. My farm is a cooperative where the chickens run free on five acres of woodlands and pasture. The cooperative has seven members who own chickens that reside on my property. They pay an annual fee for every chicken they own to cover it's "room and board." In return they receive delicious eggs, visiting rights, and a chance to experience chicken ownership even if they live in an apartment. We call the farm Lucky Cluck Farm as we have some very lucky and spoiled hens along with a couple of fabulous roosters.

Speaking of roosters we ordered 10 assorted bantams this year and wouldn't you know that 9 of the 10 are roosters. So I'm looking for a good home for most of them. Since I'm new to this forum any advice on the best way to find a good home for these handsome and friendly guys would be most welcome.

Dawn Grafe
    Newport, OR

2. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    Hello, and [​IMG]

Wish I was closer, but I'm in mid TN. Can't help ya'. Chicken soup ain't bad! [​IMG]

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

[​IMG]

Craigslist is a good way to rehome roos.

4. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Hello Dawn [​IMG]
    [​IMG] from Australia!
    That sounds like a wonderful farm you're running, what a great idea! I've never quite heard anything like it before, but I think it's fantastic [​IMG]
    BYC is a great place. I haven't (yet [​IMG]) gotten into any fights, which usually happens with the foul-mouthed members on other forums [​IMG] I guess this is why I've hung around for as long as I have, huh? [​IMG]

Hope to see you more around the forums.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

The co-op is a cool idea. How did you get it started?

6. luckycluckfarms

luckycluckfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for the welcome's everyone. I started the cooperative idea when I wanted more chickens but didn't want to have to sell the eggs and, selfishly, I wanted others to own chickens so I could talk about them more without sounding like a crazy chicken lady. It worked! All of the members love their chickens and when I bring up chickens as a topic for discussion it's not to a bunch of eye rolling among my friends and acquaintances. This also helped in other ways. When we needed to purchase an automatic door with a timer the members all pitched in to help cover the expenses. When I leave town for work I have a whole bunch of folks ready and willing to come and care for the girls. Each person also has coop cleaning duty where they come and clean out the coop. It's almost too good to be true. We have a FB page called Lucky Cluck Farms if you are interested. We've even inspired others to start their own cooperative: Bantyland and Eggport.

Dawn

7. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I might try that too. I've been putting pics on facebook of eggs incubating, I've got a following.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    That's so good! There's some really good ideas in there, and it looks like it's touched the hearts of those with the chickens [​IMG]
    I'm still looked upon as a crazy chicken girl. "How are the chickens going?" I get asked regularly. [​IMG] Only a select few pals actually know chickens are only a fraction of my life [​IMG] Others just see me going on BYC and scramble to a conclusion: chicken crazy. [​IMG]

Maybe I should start too! 'Adopt a chicken, $5 a week.' A bit like those organisations that let you 'adopt' an endangered animal and give you a certificate, let you name it and everything. Except orangutans don't lay eggs for you [​IMG]

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Hello and welcome from Banks, OR. I was near you today visiting the kite festival in Lincoln City!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by