A fair price for hens????

rebelbill1972

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Gloucester County, Va
What is a fair price to pay for hens that started laying in Sept and Oct? The breeds are...CuCkoo marans, Black Austrolorps, Barred Plymouths. The seller is asking 12.00 per bird. I know the majority of cost is incurred before they start layng and I'm just wondering if this is an accurate price.

That seems like you may be getting the better end of the deal. I have seen them go anywhere between $8-25+. I can't sell them less than $10 and I'm just breaking even on growing them out then if I sell at POL. It costs average about $0.75 a week to feed most grown breeds, and you're looking at birds that are minimum 22 weeks. So yeah, good price.

Around here I see most going for around $20-30.

I'm going to get a pair of 18 week old hens tomorrow for $25 for the both of them.

I sell mine - - pet quality - - for $10 - $15 a piece. They are normally gone within 48 hours of advertising, so I know the price is low . . .
I usually price mine that low because I am cramped and need a few gone ASAP. . . .
smile.png

I guess my $2 each for egg laying adult RIR's was a smokin deal then..... Around here most seem to be advertised from $5 to $15 each.

Back
Top Bottom