A Faker in the Hen House

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ceeceeholt, Aug 21, 2011.

1. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I have an 18 month old hen that I got 2 weeks ago. She laid pretty well until last week, now she goes in the box, sits for about an hour then SINGS at the top of her lungs struting around at how proud she is. I tell her "good girl" and she eats it up. I check the nesting box and NOTHING! This has happened for 4 days. Other than that she is happy, healthy, eatting well, harrassing the youngsters! [​IMG]
    What gives? Is she too old? Is she just playing around? I don't believe nor feel that her egg is stuck:)
    Any suggestions would be great;)

Alabama momma of 18 hens and a teenage Roo:yiipchick

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    With some hens it's a matter of force of habit. They visit the box even if they don't have an egg to lay that day. I have two that do that.

I see two things that could possibly be going on with your hen. One could be a delayed reaction to her move (which I doubt) and two, 18 months old is prime time for a molt. Does she look a bit scruffy? 18 months old is not too old at all. I have hens that are more than 3 years old still laying well, or were until they started their yearlty molt about a week ago.

[​IMG]

ETA: Continue to watch her for signs of being eggbound, but I betcha it's a molt. They normally stop laying a week or so before they start dropping the feathers.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Thank you so much, she is molting and I forgotten I read that they may stop laying during that time! I thought she was going a little crazy:D

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Glad to know it's something as simple as that. [​IMG]

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Mine are only 24 week old and I have a chicken that cries wolf every other day or so. Sometime she will even sing when someone else lays an egg. Shes a little strange that Wilma. I figure she is just learning the ropes though since has only been laying for a little over a week now.

[​IMG]

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:X2

I have hens laying everyday that are about 2 1/2 years old and a couple are 4 and would be laying nearly everyday if they weren't always so freakin' broody!

I say molt or it's super hot out.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:X2

I have hens laying everyday that are about 2 1/2 years old and a couple are 4 and would be laying nearly everyday if they weren't always so freakin' broody!

I say molt or it's super hot out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry my dear friend, but misery loves company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by