1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A fallen tree in the chicken run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I JUST today made my bird order. 25 coming soon. Already have brooder box and lumber for coop was delivered yesterday. Hubby cut down several dead oak trees and one is fairly small. Is is a dumb idea to take off all tiny sticks and let the tree lay in the yard to give them something to hop around on...to keep them busy? I kinda thought I could sink long smooth bolts here and there to impale cabbage heads and the like on this tree "jungle gym". Any thoughts?

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    yes totally good idea

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Im so excited youd think I was having a baby (my youngest is 2) Christmas looked like a "chicken baby shower" for me. It was so cool! Im glad someone thought this was a good idea!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You don't want fallen timber right next to your house due to carpenter ants and termites. I have read that carpenter ants will travel 200 feet. Now if you already have a forest within that distance to your house---use your judgement!!

Just be careful- and don't let foliage of plants touch your house. Trim those bushes that brush up against your house, etc. That is how the carpenter ants prefer to get onto your house.

5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:make it X2!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Excellent idea, I have several huge fallen branches around the yard and the hens love to get up high to strut about.

ETA, they are about 20-30 feet from the house and I can sit here at my desk and watch them. It's a good indicator of what the current pecking order is.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bunch of tree branches in my run, the chickens hang out on them.

8. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    not quite the same but.....we used a liner to an old truck bed for the babies when we brought them home. When it was time to take them out to the new pen and coop we just carried the whole thing out with the chicks in it....then my DH finished up the run with me asking him how he was going to get the thing out of there....well it is still there and the chickens love it...they can stand on it and walk around and do all day. Plus, once in a while I move it and it is the best time they have! Bugs all over under it! Even a mouse one day and that was a hoot!

They do love to have places to get up on!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by