A family member almost bitten by a rattler today

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dewey, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    We're so very thankful the rattler missed him, and so is he, to say the least. It happened this morning and he sent me the pic of snake. RIP snake. He walked up on it and didn't see it until he was too close to realize there was no getting away from it. I think this is the 4th or 5th one in a month but they're moved out of the yard if possible. A couple of weeks ago my Sis sat down next to a big snake that was resting underneath a little patio table outside her back patio door. [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Good thing he's okay!! [​IMG] Scary!!

3. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    :) Thank you. We've all lived in the desert our whole lives and we've been bitten by a variety of things, yet ever since childhood every single one of us has avoided being bitten by a rattler even when they've been everywhere around us. I think in August there were 24 or 25 rattler bites.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I sure am glad we don't have those around here.

5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Sorry to tell you Glenmar Virginia has Timber rattle snakes.

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

we have those in Indiana it's listed here as an endangered animal so we cannot legally kill one we also have copper heads and water moccasons in some areas here. all deadly to different degrease )if you had to be bitten by one pray it's a copperhead you have a bigger leeway to get to the er).

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    This post brought back memories. When I was a kid I used to live in an area where there were a lot of diamond back rattlesnakes. There was an abandoned vineyard on the property that was a haven for them. I used to walk barefoot through this vineyard all the time. Nary a rattler did I ever see. A young man who lived on the same farm was reclaiming the vineyard for an FFA project. When he and his father worked the land they found rattlesnakes all the time. Sometimes in the very same place I had just tromped through a few minutes before. I think the reason I never saw the snakes or got bitten was twofold. One, I made so much noise tromping and singing as I went on my merry way that the snakes had ample warning of my presence and got out of the way, and two, I was just lucky. As in God takes care of idiots and little children. I think I may have qualified on both counts.

8. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Hahaha, I hear that!LOL I grew up pretty much running wild-n-free in the desert back in the day [​IMG] and learned at a young age to watch out for certain things, but still had plenty of close calls. As a (too) young kid I used to routinely climb up the sides of the volcanic rock mountains over the boulders and crevices, winter and summer...rattler heaven...used to play with gila monsters and scorpions...yep, fools and little children definitely applied here...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by