A family of foxes killed my ducks!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jacyjones, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I just lost 2 of my ducks tonight. 6.00pm, broad daylight, 2 grown fox cubs got at them in the field and killed my white khaki and one of the brown ones. My daughter heard something and ran up the field in bare feet to see a fox with one of the chickens in its mouth. It dropped her and ran and luckily the chicken was unharmed apart from lost tail feathers. Hugh went out with the gun and has shot 3 foxes!! He thinks that he has got them all but I will not be letting the chickens and one duck out to free range tomorrow!! He is going to try calling the foxes again tomorrow night and see if anything else comes out. I really hate foxes and we have been so lucky recently - just shows you should never get complacent. Poor ducks and poor little one left on her own now. We are going on holiday next week but when we are back I will be buying her some new friends.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Good job, Hugh! Sorry about your losses. Foxes have never been an issue for me (Knock on wood!), but I know the pain of losing your birds to predators. Good luck with finding some new friends.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thank you. The girls are all confined to barracks today and are being quite quiet about it. The lucky chicken has a completely bald bum apart from one feather!!!! Hugh will try calling foxes again tonight and see if any more come out!! My one little duck looks so lonely but she will be ok with the chickens until new friends are found!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by