A few basic health questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlebirdoz, Jun 6, 2011.

1. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    1) I am thinking of using DE in the wood shavings in the bottom of the coop. Any reason I should not? I would like to do this as a preventative for mites(we had bird mites in the house last year...ick). I am using it in the yard to stop the ticks from getting on my babies(human ones)

2) My bantam cochin sits underneath my largest chicken all the time is this normal?

3) Is it normal to see the crop poking out and being really full frequently. They eat all the time so I never seem to see it when it is empty??? I don't fully understand chicken digestion so this might be a stupid question.

4) Is wood shavings the best bedding? And do I use something different in the nesting box or can I use the same thing all over?

5) Do chickens get ticks?

They are around 12 weeks and seem very healthy and happy.

I apologize if these are dopey questions...just trying to learn everything I can.

TIA
    [​IMG]

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    2. They might be just fighting over an egg?
    3. Ya the crop is almost ALWAYS out.
    5. If they do they just eat them before the ticks can get to them.

And none of them are dumb questions [​IMG]

3. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Oh I should have said... they are not laying yet. She just sits under her. [​IMG]

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Two of my hens did that before. I didn't really understand, they were already laying but. Maybe for you there fighting over a nest box? [​IMG]

4. Hay, molch [sp?], shavings are good.

5. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    1. I use DE all the time. Food grade! Make sure it's food grade. I've used it around broodies and babies and haven't had any problems. I really think it helped stave off mites until I changed all bedding and flooring without replacing the DE. I *think* I ended up with some mites. I'm fighting those now. From advice on here and where I've read, you can't get rid of mites by using it but it's good for preventing them.

3. Mine are like that too. I actually think it's unusual to see them not full and poking out.

4. I've used shaving, hay, and straw as bedding and flooring. I haven't had a problem with any! Althought, seems like I read somewhere that either straw or hay can get moldy if it's wet for a while. Not sure on that one. Sorry.

HTH

6. littlebirdoz

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    Ok I have food grade so I will put it in the bedding. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by