1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Few Beginners questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hatchit, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hatchit

Hatchit New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Hi I have started doing a few designed for my Qua;l hut/coop. I have been reading this fantastic site and have a few questions to ask if someone would be kind enough to help me,

1. have noticed a lot people have mesh flooring rather than a solid floor. What are the advantages of each and which one would you suggest I incorporate in my design?

2. I have also noticed that lot of people have what looks like Christmas tree lights in there Coops, what is the reason for this. Is it just to look nice ?

3. What greenery /plantation would you put in you coop for the quails hind behine and eat.

Thank you

Simon

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    First off [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    This is my opinion.

1. have noticed a lot people have mesh flooring rather than a solid floor. What are the advantages of each and which one would you suggest I incorporate in my design?

- I do not like Mesh wire, or solid floors. I choose wire, over floors. Like the post above, it is so much easier to clean, but the birds do not clean themselves as well. I find it that in colder weather, if the temperature is to cold - you will see more bloody feet from frost bite. If you choose wire, than you may want to put sand, or a wood shavings box, for them to bath in.

2. I have also noticed that lot of people have what looks like Christmas tree lights in there Coops, what is the reason for this. Is it just to look nice ?

-N/A (theory, its for Santa. quail need presents too)

3. What greenery /plantation would you put in you coop for the quails hind behine and eat.

- I would not put any plantation, or greenery under, or inside the cages. The reason being - where there is plants, there is insects. The last thing any breeder would want is de-liceing their poultry, or de-worming... etc. etc. You may feed them vegetation. I myself would not put any plantation inside the cages. Instead for shelter, make them their shelter out of wood... etc.

(remember, its just based of my opinion.)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. Hatchit

Hatchit New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Sorry for the late thank you, I broke my foot the other day so been at A&E for last two days. Great answers and thank you for taking the time to reply. I will on board your comments. Just checked my eggs tonight and have a very good success fertile rate. [​IMG]

Thank you once again Simon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by