A few birds suddenly quit eating and died?!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by icyangel222, Dec 23, 2014.

1. icyangel222

icyangel222 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Duluth, MN
    I don't know what's going on here, I assume maybe it's a sudden illness or something. Last Friday I noticed one of my hens wouldn't come to eat, in fact it seemed like she might not have for a few days at least. She did come to drink when I refilled the water dish on Friday. But still wouldn't eat, and she seemed like she was really sluggish and kinda weak, she took a super runny poop, it was like yellow water.

I had a rooster die a week or 2 ago not sure if it was under the same thing or not, it had trouble walking/standing (it actually had trouble with walking and standing for a few weeks), it ate some but was eating less, it went outside and I assume went hypothermic cause it was very wet and snowy, I found it out there barely alive, I brought it inside and next day it was dead.

And yesterday I noticed another rooster was unable to stand, and refused to eat or drink... today it died.

What on earth is this? And how do I put a stop to it? I can't keep losing birds.

2. icyangel222

Nov 5, 2012
    Duluth, MN
    I forgot to add the rooster that died today seemed to have clear fluid pouring out of it's mouth, like vomit or something. Not a good sign.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea but just wanted to say very sorry for your loss, and there are some members on here that hopefully can help you.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's possible that you are dealing with coccidiosis, or even Mareks disease. How old are the chickens? Coccidosis usually affects younger birds, but some older birds may get it. Symptoms are extreme weakness, not eating, lethargy, diarrhea (with or without blood,) and puffing up or hunching. Treatment is Corid or amprollium for 5 days in the water. Mareks disease can cause weakness in the legs or wings, and many other symptoms such as wasting. Chickens with Mareks disease suffer from a lack of immunity to common diseases such as coccidiosis and many others. I would worm your chickens with Vabazen 1/2 ml given orally and repeated in 10 days. Then I would treat them for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) in their water for 5 days. If you lose another bird, I would recommend that you get a necropsy done by your state vet. Here is a link for that, as well as some links about Mareks:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. icyangel222

Nov 5, 2012
    Duluth, MN
    Thanks for your reply... and all the birds that were effected so far are under a year old. I have older birds and so far nothing's happened to them. It'd be very bad if I lost any more of my youngest hens as they were an investment towards a project I'm doing. Today I gave them some garlic, not sure what good it'd do against such diseases but it's better then nothing as I like to say. I've had about 3 or so birds develop a cough at different times earlier this year and each time I would give them garlic.. soon after, the cough was eliminated. But anyway, where can I find corid and vabazen if the links don't say?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would make sure they didn't eat something toxic.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Corid is at TSC. You will also find Safeguard (for goats) there to worm your chickens.

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Look up bird flu here on BYC or at USDA. It was in Oregon and Washington (I think) and supposedly from migratory birds.
    Similar symptoms in this excerpt from a USDA pamphlet.

■ know the warning signs
    (sudden increase in bird deaths, sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, watery or green diarrhea, lack of energy, poor appetite, drop in egg production, swelling around the eyes, neck, and head, and purple discoloration of wattles, combs, and legs)
    ■ report sick birds (call your local or State veterinarian, or USDA toll-free at 1-866-536-7593).

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think you need a lab necropsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by