A few chick questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bluegiantsc, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bluegiantsc

bluegiantsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    York, SC
    My hen just hatched out 11 chicks. They all seem to be doing really well, all strong and healthy. They're eating and drinking on their own.
    My questions are, do they need grit? They live outside and the hen is raising them. They're getting medicated chick starter right now, but they'll be switching to non medicated tomorrow. Doesn't the chick starter have grit in it already? Plus since they'll be in the dirt they should be okay right?

Another question is, the heat lamp in their house is a really low watt light and its a red/black light. It puts off enough heat I think, they stay closed up tight in the house at night, but I turn it off during the day and they go under the hen if they get cold. I noticed she moved out of her nest and next to the heat lamp, should I put the lamp above her or something? I guess what I'm trying to ask is where is proximity should the light be to her and the nest?

I know the hen is going to teach them everything they need to know, but I'm just worried about warmth! haha. Its been pretty cold at night here but okay during the day. They're so adorable, I didn't know what chicks could be so cute!
    I can't wait to see them grow up!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Grit is not necessary. The crumbled chick feed should act as grit with it's shape. In my opinion forget about grit. The hen is the chicks heat lamp so they'll survive without a heat lamp as long as it doesn't get below 40 in the coop. If you feel they need the heat lamp by all means go ahead and use it.

3. starshoot

starshoot New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    Grit is used to grind the food. They need it unless they have access to some kind of small gravel about the size of chick grit. Your food would have a label that indicated that it contains grit if it contains grit. If it doesn't I would supplement. As for the heat lamp I wouldn't think it was necessary. The hen is the heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by