1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Few Days to Hatch, and Still Nothing to Feed Them!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Just got back from Tractor Supply. The game bird seed they ordered came in and I went to check it out. It is only 16% protein. I don't have a clue what to do. I asked them about turkey starter, but no one is there who can tell me anything. Have to call them tomorrow. I even talked to Big Spring Mill that Quail Lady had found for me and they don't carry anything for game birds either.

I can't find anyone who even has quail other than I heard there is a guy about an hour away who has some. But nobody knows his name, nor exactly where he lives. I don't have a clue what to do now. Poor things are going to hatch in the next few days if any make it, and I can't even feed them what they need. This is really getting me down. [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There has to be a chick start of 20% or higher. TSC has Dumor for meat birds and that is 24% protein. You can always add protein to the diet.

3. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey Quail Lady,

Thanks for the shout. They do have some chick starter feed at 20%, but that is the highest thing they have in protein in stock. So, what would be good to add to the feed to bring up the percentage of protein, and how do I figure how much of it to add?

Thanks again!
    Jeff

4. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Welcome to the aggravating world of TSC, They are a Purina GBS (30%) dealer but will not carry it or order it along with alot of other items, My continueing TSC RANT........[​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would give them hard boiled egg with the food as a source. Soybean meal mixed in the food could work too. fishmeal, hmmm someone help! LOL I feel like I am on the spot here hahaha.

6. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I would just go get a bag of cheap 30% cat food and grind it up and mix 1/2 and 1/2 with some chick starter. I have done it and had no ill affects from it.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:OH NO HE DIDNT JUST TYPE THAT DID HE?? [​IMG]

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Meal worms [​IMG]

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Has anyone every tried cooked dry beans?
    My other birds love them! Especially Lima beans .

10. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll take all I can get!

JJMR794, WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND TO ADD TO THE FEED? NOT YELLING, JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT SO YOU CAN SEE IT BETTER! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by