A few desperate questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cattbird, Sep 8, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    I hatched 1 black silkie.. it's mates from a different hatch were due 3-4 days later (from the same incubator) They didn't make it, I think the high humidity caused them to drown (It was at 70 at the highest point? but they had a 4 day lockdown due to the black hatching earlier) Yolk was absorbed, just never pipped. One of the chicks was just alive when I broke the shell open but died shortly after [​IMG]

Anyway, my point. Little black chick is so lonely and crys whenever I put him down. I was counting on these chicks to settle him but now they have died.. I'm in the U.K, and can't just pick up another baby chick to keep him company.

Could anyone tell me :

*If 70 humidity for 4 days would have killed my fully formed chicks before pipping
    *How long will it be (if ever) before my black baby calms down
    *If I try to hatch him out a friend, will I have any problems intergrating them with a 4-5 weeks age gap?

Thankyou.

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Give him a mirror and a small stuffed toy, one that has a nice comfy arm or leg it can lay on or snuggle in. You'll be suprised at the difference a mirror friend will make.

Here is the spoiled little Miss Buffy....

[​IMG]

*added pic*

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't think that humidity for the last 4 days would have drowned them. If the humidity was that high throughout the hatch it might be a different story. The chick that you opened, was it really watery inside? Had it pipped through to the air cell?

4. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Thanks I have put 2 mirrors in there and he has started pecking at them, I see from your pic you also have a see through tank. I bet that makes a differance as the chick can see around her.. mines in a cardboard box.

The chick I opened ... It did have a bit of water under the membranes but not excessive. The temperature has been stable through-out and humidity 45-50 for days 0-16 then 65-70 days 16-21. They were all alive on day 20 but never pipped. The membrane wasn't tough at all.. why else could they have D.I.S? I'm gutted as the one I opened was so sweet and tiny [​IMG] Also.. I don't know if it makes a differance but I didn't hear any of the 3 white eggs peeping.. even when I took the shell off - I have with all my other eggs, but what could have caused it.

Can anyone tell me if I hatch some more whites if they'll be okay to go with the 5 week old black? or will he peck them?

Thankyou.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Five weeks is a pretty big difference, and you would probably have to wait untill the new hatch was probably at least a week old. Then you would have to proceed with caution. When putting two groups/chicks together, I always try to put them together in a place that is new to both of them first thing in the morning after withholding food / water over night.

6. Super Admin

Super Admin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2006
    Our little lonely chick had the same problem.[​IMG] She calmed down after the first few days. The stuffed animals helped though. Your chick needs a mom and that will end up being YOU! After a few days when she is less vulnerable to cold you can carry her around with you. My Viola LOVES social time when she can run around the table or jump around on the keyboard (like she's doing now)[​IMG]. I think a 5 week gap is too much. Blessing to you and your chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by