A Few Different Breeds Need Identifying!

TWAdams

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
We bought some older chickens (approx 19 weeks) from a local farmer and added them in with our existing chickens. We are not sure what breeds they are though... So we would like your help!

#1- She is smaller than all the other chickens, has feathered feet. Very fast and not very interested in being caught.
IMG_4944-Copy.jpg

#2- This guy is definitely a rooster. A bit on the smaller side. He is missing feathers due to molting. Very long elegant looking feathers, including on feet.
IMG_4948-Copy.jpg

#3- Definitely a rooster. Tail feathers are missing due to molting. Taller than most other chickens we have (have a comparison pic too).
IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

#4- She is beautiful. Nice blackish blue color, with stripes of red! No feathers on feet.
IMG_5012-Copy.jpg

#5- Hens, some are missing tail feathers yet again. Yellowish in color, approx same size as our Red Sex Links.
IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

#6- Rooster, awesome looking crown, missing feathers again.
IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

#7- Beautiful bird, not sure hen or rooster yet. There are 4 others just like it, but different colors. No feathers on feet.
IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

Thanks so much! If you require more pictures to identify please let me know- I took over 200!!

1. mille fleur D'Uccle hen
2. brown red D'Uccle roo
3. production Red roo
4. black Sex link hen
5. buff Orpington hens
6. barnyard cross roo
7. Easter Egger hen/pullet

on the roo #6 its feather turn out and curl, can anyone tell me why.

Quote:
He probably carries the frizzle gene. It can crop up in any breed but is most prevalent in Cochins. It's possible he is a frizzle Cochin/Polish cross.

I hope it is frizzle I have been looking for some thing with frizzle. Thank you.

I don't have time to go through the breeds just yet, but I don't think the missing feathers are due to molting, I'm thinking pecking or bugs, that's a lot of flesh showing and all in the tail area, when my birds molt they show it pretty evenly, with a lot of loss on the neck, also.

Quote:
I was thinking this too. Should be some feathers missing in other places if it's just molting.
I had some tail feathers missing in my 5month old flock like this, started sneaking down trying
to catch the culprit. It was the male duck doing it. He only bothered the roos however.
Forgot to tell you congrats, they are all pretty and look young.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom