A few egglaying questions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stoney22, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    ok we have NH Reds at what age will they start laying? we also have a few mallards, cayugas, a pekin, and a blue swedish. at how many weeks will they start laying? and finally at what age will my hens and my duck hens stop laying?
    Thanks.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You'll get eggs from the chickens between 18-24 weeks. No idea on the ducks - I don't do ducks.

3. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    ok sounds good so if they were born in june then probably no eggs til next yr then since itll be Nov-Dec by then:(

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:If you mean the chickens, then not necessarily true- new layers usually begin laying when its time. We got our chicks in July '10, got our first egg in late November, and they all began laying over the winter.

If you mean the ducks, then I have no idea, as I don't have any ducks.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    oh ok thats good to know. would i need a light or anything to help the laying process or no not really even though traditional daylight will be dwindling by that time and coop inside time will be increasing? and should i make nezt boxes or will they still lay with out them?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Forgot to add, it depends on the breed and whether hatchery or breeder birds. It's an approximate time, chickens are individuals and will lay when ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by