a few geese questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Aug 9, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    right now i have a toulouse goose who is imprinted on me but one day if our annoying neighbors move i would like to get some more geese. i was wondering if a human imprinted goose would ever except a mate or if they will always think they are humans?
    other then waterfowl feed what is the best feed for geese? flock raiser maybe?
    i walk my goose each morning about 1/4 mile with my dog. do you think this is too much exercise for her? about half the walk she is on pavement and i have ordered her some special goose shoes.

2. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I gave my human imprinted goose a younger mate and they have bonded quite well. I feed mine flock raiser.

3. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Our Jack (Chinese Grey) is 1 yr old and we've had him from 2 weeks, he is totally imprinted!!!
    We introduced a gosling, 3 months old (who he watched grow up) about 2 months ago and they're now good friends but seen no goose 'lovin' action going on!!!
    They all roam round with ducks too!

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    i walk my goose each morning about 1/4 mile with my dog. do you think this is too much exercise for her? about half the walk she is on pavement and i have ordered her some special goose shoes.

If she follows you without complaining, the distance seems fine to me. And I don't think the shoes are necessary, unless you notice problems with her feet. I've thought about ordering those shoes myself, but that's because my goose skids on my floors.

I've always taken my geese for walks, and they love it! I've noticed that the colder the weather, the longer and faster they walk. On warm days they don't go very far before they plant themselves somewhere and seem to grow roots. [​IMG]

When I took them on vacation to a beach house, the weather was perfect - for geese [​IMG] It was windy, rainy and cold, and they easily walked a mile four or five times a day. I always walk on goose terms, which means plenty of stops to investigate, drink, forage and swim.

My present goose is about seven weeks old, and he loves to walk - but only on cooler days, and only when he gets plenty of breaks. I've also noticed that he hates to be rushed - if I try to make him go faster, he turns around and starts to go home. [​IMG] And if we go somewhere boring - no weeds - he sits down and refuses to go anywhere. Then I carry him to a more interesting place.​

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    my goose follows me the whole way and when we get close to the pond i take her in she starts to run up ahead. i stop about 6 times for her water and food break so i think its fine for her.
    im mainly buying the shoes for her because like goose girl said when they are in the house they slip on the wood floors. i also want to be prepared for winter when the sidewalks are a sheet of ice so that she doesn't go sliding.

now ive got some more questions.
    ive now geese live anywhere from 20-40 years but he ganders live longer. how old do you think a female toulouse who eats flock raiser would live without any freak accidents?
    what age do toulouse geese mature?
    right now my goose is 3 months old and is making some really loud honks [​IMG] she also makes softer ones and louder ones so i was wondering if when they get older are all their honks loud or do they have loud and soft ones?
    unlike the other toulouse gees pictures ive seen my goose is missing the white around her feathers
    you see in this pic how they have sort of white laced feathers
    http://www.rushbyroost.com/assets/chickens/toulouse-geese.html
    my goose still is all grey on her body
    [​IMG]
    so do you think when she is older she will have more white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by