A few genetic questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by red rosecomb, Apr 10, 2009.

1. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    If i cross bred a solid white roo to a solid black hen will the chicks be sex linked or just randomly colored?

And could anyone also please tell me if you cross any rosecombed chicken with any single combed chicken what type of combs will their offspring be more likely to have?

And is the body structure of a OEB dominant in genes than a cochin structure?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The only question that I can answer for sure is the combs. If you cross a rosecomb to a single comb then you're more likely to get rosecombs, but the offspring will be recessive for single comb. As in heterozygous.

ex: R = rosecomb r = single comb

Parents: RR x rr
    Offspring: Rr

I hope this helped. [​IMG]

3. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Thank you!!!

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Your Welcome [​IMG]

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Geneally speaking the offspring wouldn't be sex linked. The colour of the offspring would be determined by the genes carried by the birds. Such as which white gene(s) caused the bird to be white & what colour the bird would have been had it not been white (determined by the other genes). Also whether the black bird is homozygous extended black or another combination of genes.

The body structure of the two separate breeds will be made up of various independent traits.

6. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Here is a good discussion of the genetics of chicken colors. It's a lot to digest, but it's worth the effort if you want a thorough understanding:

http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by