A few goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lilshadow, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Hey all,
    I just bought two doe's, and their hoove's need to be trimmed. Is this a hard process to do? I will have to do it myself because I don't have anyone in the area that can trim goat hoove's. also, how long are doe's pregnant for, and how will I tell when they are ready to give birth. Annie and Alice are both pregnant, and this is their 3rd kidding according to the previous owner. Also, the last two kiddings produced triplets each time from said mother's. I am in for a real treat, if they both have triplet's again.

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have a goat stand to trim the hooves on. Makes it easier than trying to just "hold" them. The stand has a station for the head and a food bucket to keep them content. I don't find it hard to do with this help. They need to be trimmed every 8-12 weeks if you may not know this or not. Have a good pair of trimmers and a planer to smooth them out for a nice finish.

They are pregnant for 153 days. And yes you maybe in for a real treat if that is how many they had before!

Are they pretty healthy looking?

What type of goats are they? Would love to see pics.

Wendy

3. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I will get pics of the girls tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be to dark when I get home with them. Yes, they looked very, very healthy, and their enviroment was very clean. The only thing ws that their hoove's are needing trimmed. They seemed very happy, and they are so friendly all they wanted was lots of pets. I am very excited about them, but also nervous for them. I know that they are not dairy goats. They are a cross between pygmy/boer. The sire of the kids is a fainting goat. He is a beauty. This may seem goofy, but I don't know if I can consume the milk from a pygmy/boar goat. Can you? I will try to get pics of them tomorrow though.

4. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
  5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yes a stanchion helps. When you trim only take a little at a time as you dont want them to bleed and get too sore. If they are pregnant they need some type of alfalfa...either pelleted or hay as it helps their condition and milk. Milk is milk and the only type I have that tasted different is Toggenburg milk. It has a sharper taste. I have Nigis and Alpines and Nubians and La Manchas and it basically taste alike. Congrats with your girls...
    Also when were they last wormed???That can be important also as they may appear ok but the stress of a new place can cause worm overload.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Congrats!

Hoof trimming is pretty straight forward. It does require two people if you don't have a stanchion. There are some good pictorial lessons online, just search for them.

Goat gestation is 140 to 153 days. Mine average 148. I suggest reading EVERYTHING about pregnancy and birthing on the fiasco farm website. Good stuff.

You can milk any goat. Some are better milkers than others...but all the milk is good, generally. I've heard of some Boers being pretty decent in the milk pail, actually.

7. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Thanks so much for the help with the goats. I have been reading and watching all goat deliveries I can. I am just as nervous as can be. Oh I have goats, but they are wethers, no big deal to them. I just love and pet them. This is different. I just hope they deliver while I am at home and not at work. It is starting to get cold here, that makes me nervous. Oh I have a pole barn and will be getting it ready for them tomorrow before I pick them up, but it isn't heated. I will trim their hooves tomorrow if there is still light, if not then I will do it saturday. Well, good night. I will post picks tomorrow when they get him.
    Veronica

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Me personally you dont want a heated barn as it can make them sick come winter. I do have heat lamps for babies to sleep under. I would make a kidding stall in the barn and make sure it dont have drafts and have lots of straw in it. Most goats kid in the wee hours of the morning or late in the evenings. some just seem to go when ever. My girls usually have their babies early or really late. I have kidding stalls and that way you can put them in there when they are getting close and they can still see the others and this way the babies are safe from the other goats. You dont want stomped babies as some goats can and do this. The cold usually dont bother them they just dont like drafts and rain. Well mine dont. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by