A few goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fawkes, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    One day I'd love pet goats so I want to do some more research [​IMG]

1. I would like 1 Pygmy and 1 Nigerian. Maybe 1 Nubian too. All neutered males, as I hear they make the best pets. Would 10Lx10Wx6H pen with an attached shed for shelter be big enough?

2. Would a plastic or wood shed be best? I'd secure it somehow so it couldn't be moved around by the goats.

3. How big should the shed be? I live in Florida so it isn't a harsh climate.

4. Are there goat harnesses/collars so I could walk them around the yard?

5. How much hay would they eat, assuming that would be the main part of their diet? We have a big yard, lots of grass, but I'm guessing they'd quickly eat all the grass in their pen.

6. Do goats need vaccines or worming?

7. Do males need anything other than hay/grass? What do you feed yours and why?

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:1. 10x10 seems kinda small for 3 goats but maybe not [​IMG]

2. Um.. They try to eat the wooden dog house they live in on my back porch but I dont think it really matters as long as they can get out of the rain (they really dont like that...)

3. 3 of mine all want to fit in a 3x2 dog house. They have a large shed out back but nooooo

4. Mine just wear collars.. But good luck training them to walk on them [​IMG]
    My female just did it.. Im having a harder time with my males

5. Pshh mine wont eat hay unless its dead of winter. But goats arent grazers... They are browsers. Sure they will eat grass though.

6. Yes

7. Not that I know of. I leave mine to browse and give them an option of hay (which goes to waste [​IMG])

3. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it.

1. I could always go bigger, just not sure what the size requirements are?

2. Do goats know which weeds/plants aren't safe to eat? I could fence part of the yard in for them to graze in but theres lots of very small weeds growing in the grass.

3. I'm guessing worming medicine is either given by a vet or sold at a feed store? Not sure where I'm going to find a vet for vaccines/in case they're ever ill... I guess the breeder will probably know, but does anyone know of a good livestock vet in North Florida?

4. When do you worm and give vaccines?

5. When are goats weaned and old enough to neuter?

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I got 2 baby Nigerian dwarf does.. 4 and 7 days old.. They are now 3 months old.. Soooo friendly, so amazing.. So lovable..[​IMG]

But 10x10.. Too small..
    Do I walk my goats..all the time, with a collar, worm them yes, vaccinate yes..

I made a pen out of goat panels and took my 4x4 coop and use that for them to sleep in at night, I also have in their pen area.. A play set, and lots of things for them to climb on and 2 big dog igloos ..they never go in that though.. Wait a minute, I take that back, no they don't go in them but they love climbing on them..lol yet

Goats are awesome, I admit mine are out of their pen more then in their pen, [​IMG]

be prepared for them to eat every single plant, bush, cushion, ..lol u own [​IMG]

I will add some photos for u
    Xoxox

Be back going to photo bucket and will attach for your viewing to get some ideas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Oooh, thanks for the pics, I've been trying to find some! Awww, very cute goats, and your yard is beautiful!

Looks like it would be best for me to fence part of the yard in. What kind of wire fencing is that? Coyotes wouldn't go over something like that to get at goats, would they? Coyotes are the only goat predator in Florida, though I have no idea if any are in my area.

I have some dog houses, a playhouse, and a kids playset thing that I could use. I'll have to get some logs and dog igloos and things when the time comes to get my goats.

Are oak leaves poisonous? I have an oak tree on one side of the yard, where I was considering having my goats. There is also a maple, not sure what kind of maple it is, but it doesn't look like a red maple, I don't think.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  6. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    I'm reading more about coyotes and apparently they can be really dangerous to goats and i wouldn't risk my goats so I'll lock them in the shed at nighttime. I'm guessing goats sleep all night? So the shed wouldn't need to be really big?

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My goats seem to be awake.. and watching me ..when I get up in the middle of the night. It could be 2 AM it could be 4 AM.
    They are crazy

They nap on and off through out the day. I figure its defense mechanism [​IMG]

Here is what they sleep in on my porch
    [​IMG]

But really they dont even sleep in it unless its cold. Usually they curl on the stairs or the corner.

8. Da chicken farm

Da chicken farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    My goats can be devils sometimes. They break out of their cage early in the morning and bleat like they were gonna die. Both are castrated males, and i love them to death but like i said they can be devils. They used to break into the house every day (and still do) and jump on the dining room table. (they used the doggy door) One is a pygmy and the other a nigerian; Paco and Olly. Unfortuantly Olly has mastered the way of opening the patio door by using his mouth. They maybe devils, but they are amazing pets. And we take them out on a walk!!! Also, make sure you read this part. I almost killed my nigerian by feeding him to much oats! So make sure that oats are at a minimum. We dont want to take a chance that the goats will get into the garage and eat the oats, so we replaced the oats for rabbit/guinea pig alfalfa pellets, the goats love it, and just to be safe we dont give them to much. The goats are currently living with our two rabbits; Koya and Stanly. As well as our three guinea pigs. Also living with the goats temporarily is, Psyquina (who had a nasty bumblefoot infection) and Rooster Stew (whom we saved from the stew pot! :]).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Quote:Answers in bold print. I hope this helps!
    ~AF

10. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Thanks guys!

I recommend Nubians if you like big, obnoxious, friendly, loud, very smart, stubborn, and just beautiful goats. They can be trained to pull carts or logs, in some cases up to 400 pounds. I have a pet 5 month old Nubian-cross kid who lives with my two lambs of the same age. He is a real pain in the neck but very lovable and graceful looking. I love him!

Sounds good except, how loud are they? Are they louder in general than Pygmy and Nigerian (as in, yelling)? I wouldn't mind but I'm afraid of neighbors complaining.

And how do you contain goats? They seem to be able to jump 4-5 ft fences easily? Do you have to use electric fences? I'd be really afraid of mine escaping and getting run over/lost/stolen.

Which makes me think, would it be safe for them to always wear collars i.e they won't accidentally hang themselves with the collar?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by