A few incubator set up questions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TattooQ27, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking that I might like to try to hatch out some eggs but I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible before I start. Considering I won't be doing too much hatching I didn't go out and buy the best incubator money can buy but now I am beginning to worry after reading lots of negative stuff about the LG still air. Our plan is to buy the turner for it and DH wants to try to do the computer fan thing.

My questions are:

1) What is the best way to mount the computer fan into the incubator?

2) I just ordered the Egg Temp thermometer from Cutler Supply, what would be a good (but not terribly expensive) hygrometer to use along with it? I haven't ever used a hygrometer before so something user friendly would be super.

3) Where inside the incubator should I put the probe for the thermometer? I was thinking about buying a wiggler or making a gel filled plastic egg thing to set in my turner, would that be ok?

4) If I plan to start my incubator up a couple weeks before setting eggs, would that give me enough time to get the temp and humidity stable? I am going to put it in my office which has the most stable temps in the house so I am hoping not to have to fiddle with the incubator too much but I have read that the LG's are touchy.

5) What is the best way to add water to the incubator if you have the turner in it? I haven't played with the incubator at all yet so I am guessing you wouldn't have to move all of the eggs individually to get to the bottom...I hope?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Quote:1) dunno

2) I just use a little cheapie dial hygrometer from Petco. Six bucks.

3) dunno, I just lay the GQF thermometer over the top of the eggs.

4) Yes.

5) I use a funnel to pour water between the racks and egg holes. Remove an egg if necessary.

Best of luck!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I HIGHLY recommend you spend just a little bit more and get the hovabator genesis...I think with the turner, I only paid about 150. Let me tell you, that after using a LG still air, it was SO worth it to chuck it and get the hovabator!!! I had HORRIBLE hatches with the LG, and lost LOTS of expensive eggs to it. I am having fantastic hatches with the hovabator!

A fan would certainly HELP the LG, but they are EXTREMELY touchy, and you will NOT regret getting the Hovabator genesis...it's got the electronic thermostat, and you literally set it, and walk away! It's SO easy!!!!

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    1 - Mount the fan where it blows up against the lid and not directly onto the eggs/chicks. Need some large washers on the outside to help support the fan.

2 - Basically any hygrometer should do. One from a pet store's reptile department would work or one of the temp/hygro units from Walmart. Either way, be sure to check it's calibration to be sure it's fairly accurate. Here's a link to a short thread here on BYC with info/instructions on calibrating a hygrometer... Hygrometer Calibration .

3 - Standard temperature recommendations are for "top of egg" so probe should be at the top surface height of the eggs.

4 - Running it for a couple of weeks before incubating eggs really isn't necessary, just a few days would work. BUT, if you keep a regular check on it during this time you will probably "get in sync" with it and become comfortable using it. Having said that, once you have eggs inside of it humidity and temperature may very well change. One thing I would definitely do is to attach a large disk/dial/knob or whatever to the stem used to adjust the thermostat. A large knob will let you make more precise and smaller adjustments...very useful for the LG's which are known for their finicky thermostat adjustments. Using a large knob is a lot easier than trying to turn the tiny diameter stem a small amount.

5 - Adding water... Either run a piece of aquarium tubing through one of the vent-holes or create a new hole to insert it in. Run the tube to the bottom of the incubator into the water reservoir. On the outside you can use a small funnel or a syringe to insert water into the tube and thus into the incubator. You may or may not need to leave an empty spot in the egg turner in the area where the tube runs.

Hope this helps a little,
    Best wishes!
    Ed

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:1) mount it on the top towards the back of the incubator near where the power cord is. that is where the forced air ones go. Look online at the manual and you can see where the MFG places it.

2) I would send it back and use the cheap 7 dollar thermometer/hygrometer from walmart it is white and works great!
    2A) while at walmart go to the lighting section and buy a 97 cent dimmer knob and put it on the top of the existing post that you adjust the temp with, makes adjustments SO MUCH EASIER!!!
    3) I would put it in the center where the egg racks have a split in the center.

4) Plenty of time, 2 days would get temp stabilized. DON'T put it in a drafty area IE Window, doorway put it in the far reaches of the room. It will work much better there.

5) Get a funnel and a air hose for a fish tank and it works SLICK. you can aim that hose wherever you want and only dump in a little water. Most LG's have 3 troughs. If you place the bottom where the troughs show in the center between the egg turner rack you don't even have to move anything to get to the troughs. (IE make the troughs run horizontal to the vertical racks) I hope that made sense.

Ask me if you have any more questions I will be happy to help out and I LOVE my LG's they are awesome.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:HAHAHAHAHA Who WALKS AWAY from the incubator? I cannot keep my eyes off of it waiting impatiently for the eggs to hatch!!!! I DO understand about having bad hatches. we did until we added the dimmer switch knob to the top so you could adjust temp in teenie increments. Just struck me funny on the walk away! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:HAHAHAHAHA Who WALKS AWAY from the incubator? I cannot keep my eyes off of it waiting impatiently for the eggs to hatch!!!! I DO understand about having bad hatches. we did until we added the dimmer switch knob to the top so you could adjust temp in teenie increments. Just struck me funny on the walk away! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL!! No kidding!! Ok, I hereby edit to add, you CAN walk away...noone ever DOES, but one COULD if one WISHED!!! that better?!?? haa haa [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Squirlatheart

Squirlatheart Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Hi all,

I am hopping on to this thread as I have some eggs coming, and I need to get set up and some advice. I have the little giant still air incubator but ordered the fan for it. I hope that is okay. Just didn't want to spend more. Do you have to take the lid off to add water to it? And how do you know the humidity level they need. These are silkie eggs coming next week. Thanks bunches.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I put bendy straws through a few of the little vent holes in mine for adding water, and syringed the water through them. Humidity will depend a little on your elevation & area, search on the incubating section on here, you'll get lots of good info. I usually use the "dry incubation" method, which is where you add some water to get the humidity up to around 40-45%, and don't add more til it gets down to about 25%, and then run around 70-75% during lockdown. It will take some trial and error to see what works best for where you are and your incubator. If you have your eggs already on their way, I'd get that thing up and running pronto - you should run it for several days (especially with an LG) to get it regulated. Good luck! [​IMG]

10. Squirlatheart

Squirlatheart Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Thanks so much for your response. Well, I must say I am considering cancelling the order after reading all of the bad comments on the LG here [​IMG]. I don't want to lose any chance I have at hatching them as they are quite expensive. I just don't have 150 more to invest in another incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by